Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

squealing when reversing sound

pittyonyx

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v 6.0L
Hi all
My ve calais v has a squealing/squeaking sound when i reverse it a v8 6sp auto it stops when im reversing and put into neutral? Has a low pitch squeal when going slow and get higher pitched when going faster, any ideas much appreciated!
Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 271
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
Problem in gearbox, reverse gear ???????
Is there any delay when selecting reverse?

pittyonyx

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v 6.0L
A slight delay when putting in reverse but normal from past autos i have had?? Was thinking the rubber bearing joins tailshaft to gearbox? Or something internal would you think?

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Small child?

pittyonyx

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v 6.0L
Noise it coming from the front so rear break shoes and wheel spin out, its been doing it for a couple if years with multiple oil changes, exhaust, bushes changed ect with no sign of small child or pussy cat under car..

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Ok, in all seriousness :)...

So it only happens in reverse at low speed?
And its coming from the front?
But in neutral it wont do it? Do you mean you can go backwards under power, and then still moving but coasting and then slipping into neutral it goes away?

What about in reverse, but not touching the accelerator?
What about in reverse, but trying to match the speed with the revs so there's no load on the gears?
What about under load in reverse, but braking gently as well? (commonsense here)

If it's specific to the reverse gear and it cant be replicated unless in that gear, then it's most likely a gearbox issue.

I know you said you arent getting any issues in the other gears, but when was the last time the oil was changed in the box (if ever) ?
They very easily get neglected over the years, because 'normal' service intervals are so damn long.

Get the oil changed in it if any doubt (good quality oil). I know you said its been happening for years... but its not a 'normal' issue you should have to put up with.

sv6_06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SV6
My SV6 has had the same squeeling sound you talk of, done it since 30000kms, 3 different holden dealers couldn't pin point the fault so I just ended up living with it. If you find out what it is let me know so I can check mine out