Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

squeeking drive belt..?

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8L S1 VN & Sr20det 180sx
okay so i did a search, and i found all kinds of sollutions, but i've taken my car to someone before with the same problem, thinking it was a pully. it wasn't, and i doubt it is this time.. so what he did, was use a bit of silicone spray (Which was mentioned when i did the search, but some said it was only a temporary fix..) the person i sent it to also gave it a few touches with sand paper while it was running.. which is the main thing i'm curious about as when he did it, the problem didn't come back, until i changed my radiator, as far as i know, the cause of my problem last time, and again this time.. is coolant getting on the drive belt, which as far as i remember, i was told causes a hard spot or something like that.. he went into detail, but it was a few years ago, so i cant remember the fine points.. would anyone have any information on this? Cheers!

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
drive belt noise (squeek worse if rev it)
generally is caused by either old belt, dirty belt (e.g. coolant), misaligned belt pulleys

take belt off and turn it around the other way and refit it like (180degrees?)
-if these removes noise or changes volume of noise its likely a misalignment if you have no leaks onto belt and its not just old

take belt off and start car to confirm its not an engine noise is always recomended first

to check alignment of pulleys
-need a pulley laser most good workshops will have one
what they do is put it on one pulley and make sure all the rest of the ribs line up when they move that pulley with laser on it

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
alright thanks mate! i'll go turn it around now, i'm certain it isn't an engine noise, would it be a bad idea to drive with it like this (if turning it around doesn't work..? just to head down for some silicone spray and petrol.. give that a go.) probably only 15 minutes or so worth..

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
ive found that a tin of BRAKE PARTS CLEANER (aerosol can) is very good at removing oil and coolant residue off the belt
but NOT carby cleaner as it leaves a lubricating residue (just like silicon spray)
a simple belt noise is okay check that none of the pulleys are noisy or binding when you have belt off!~

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
yeah it isn't the pulleys, gave the belt a bit of a wash, and lightly sanded the tensioner pully as i read somewhere that sometimes it can get some **** on it and whatnot, causing it to not properly grip, causing a squeek. did the job! :) thanks guys. taking it in for a roadworthy on tuesday, so if there is any issues, it'll get sorted. :)