Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

squeeking VS ecotec roller rockers

nalchlan

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS executive series II 'S pack'
hey guys i got mace's 1.98 ratio roller rockers for my car and put them in and had no trouble, it started and ran fine.

but about 3ks down the road slowing down in 3rd i heard a squeeking sound. the noise stopped when i let it idle for a while but after i drove it 500 metres down the road again it squeeked, i put my original rockers in to see if it was causing the noise, they didnt squeek even after i drove it on the highway, so i put the new roller rockers in yet again.

it has been fine for 2 week. then i did a little skid in the gravel at my mates property as we left and they started squeeking pretty loud. it went away after i was 3 minutes down the road. ive had the rocker cover off and after about a minute at idle they all have plenty of oil. the rocker seat and pushrods didnt have any scoring/ discolouration . any one know what it is exactly thats squeeking and what causes it? id really appreciate some advice

cheers

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Burnouts are bad......

If you didnt do the burnout then it wouldnt squeek.. Ive got a set in my car, take a look in the warranty booklet, I think it mentions burnouts on page 3...

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Pfff,If they cant handle the revs of a small burnout when taking off,then they cant be very good quality.Id get rid of them before they do some damage to something else.You are much better off fitting a decent cam anyway.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Pfff,If they cant handle the revs of a small burnout when taking off,then they cant be very good quality.Id get rid of them before they do some damage to something else.You are much better off fitting a decent cam anyway.

This. After you find another two cylinders.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air

But what is a small burnout, If I know my VS drivers, and I do, Then I recon that a small burnout was up to the limiter...

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
LOL, all 6000rpm of it....

Considering the power dies at about 4500rpm, 6000rpm is probably enough to kill most anything...

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
My VS is usually revved up to or near the limiter every day,and thats with standard rocker gear,I thought roller rockers were supposed to be better?They should be able to do this no worries if the standard rocker gear can handle it day in day out..