Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

squeeking VS ecotec roller rockers

MACE

Reaction score
I'll be honest with your it's the first time I've ever come across this problem based on the many sets we've sold

If the rockers are a fault then it's no big deal as they come with a lifetime warranty. Shoot us an email or give us a call. Were you supplied with different push rods?

Cheers,
Steve

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Maybe they are just a faulty set ,or maybe they were installed wrong.But they should be able to handle that amount of revs no worries. Especially just a quick squirt..A lifetime warranty is a pretty good deal.Especially for a hard working engine part like rockers.Although most people dont rev their engine to the redline all the time.I admit I do a lot of the time,but its not held at these revs for long,so I havent had to worry about rockers etc.Its given no trouble yet anyway.If you constantly want to hold big revs ,you cant beat roller rockers,amonst other things,but most of these guys fit the high ratio roller rockers for more valve lift.You can hold the valves open for longer ( longer cam duration) and achieve the same result as more lift buy fitting a decent camshaft.And it puts heaps less stress on the valve train components.If you can fit rockers,you can fit a camshaft,all you need is a decent workshop manual to follow,I think a lot of people dont seem to realise this.

nalchlan

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS executive series II 'S pack'
on p-plates so i cant get a v8..or id have one, and dont wanna get a cam because i cant be bothered getting a double row timing chain.

haha yeah i know some vs drivers too..but it wasnt bouncin off the limiter it was just a bit of gravel, it was just a spin for about 10 metres.

never heard of it happening before mace? i dont want to send them back i just want to find the squeek, and yeah i got the new push rods and theyre in. i made sure they were seated right, one thing i didnt do was rotate the engine to a certain so its not compressing the spring? and ive looked them over theyre ok, not meaning to say your rockers are bad... another thing i thought is if the guy who owned my car beforehand got a different head gasket and its scraping on it?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So you didn't rotate the engine to put each rocker in? And did you reuse the bolts each time? Because yes to either of these is a big mistake.

nalchlan

Reaction score
Members Ride
didnt rotate engine would that be likely to cause it?, but the rockers came with new genuine bolts. ill rotate the engine and tighten them all to see if thats the cause...only thing is now i have to get a bit of spin going to test it haha

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
The bolts can only be used ONCE, once tightened they stretch and cannot be used again. So you either need a new set or you can which to reusable hex-cap bolts, which are about $1 each from any bolt shop. If you want to buy some than ask for 5/16" bolts, hand them over one of your current ones for length, and ask for the hardest steel they have it in (10.5 grade steel or something like that). Then use Loctite and do up to 23 ft/lbs. You can undo and redo these ones up as many times as your heart desires.

380_1.jpg

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
My VS is usually revved up to or near the limiter every day,and thats with standard rocker gear,I thought roller rockers were supposed to be better?.
Thats because they are not true roller rockers, they dont have rollers in the tips.

Try taking the rocker cover off and starting the engine. Its ok to do, doesnt make a mess or anything.

nalchlan

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i already had the car running with the covers off, they all get oil after a short while. roller rockers with roller tips are the ones with the roller tips

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
These are the mace units, right?

final1MACE19.jpg

these are the yella terra ones

pic-rockers01.jpg

All roller rockers have roller tips, othewrwise they are just normal rockers with a different ratio.