Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Squelching noise near drivers side fuse box.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
So how much coolant is in the system when you look in the radiator cap?

If you need to refill it, Grab a 1.25 litre softdrink bottle, cut the bottom off, take the cap off the bottle, wrap some electrical tape around the cap thread (trial and error here) until it's a firm fit in the radiator, fill the bottle up (it's now a big funnel and cheaper than the proper cooling system bleeder kits you can buy))

Start the engine and let it idle, keep filling the bottle up as the level goes down, once the engine is up to temp crack the bleeder nipple on the thermostat housing, keep the water level in the softdrink bottle so it's higher than the top of the engine, once there is no air coming out of the bleeder nipple and just coolant do it back up, remove the softdrink bottle, put the rad cap back on, turn off engine or go for a drive and see if the noise has stopped.

88jaz88

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Holden Executive Wagon
will check how much coolant when car is cold tomorrow morning. Been driving it around today and still hot. If it needs to be refilled dont i just add coolant to the radiator up to the top when the engine is cold and fill the overflow tank up to maximum ?

Thanks for helping me with this. I am very uncoordinated.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
You do have to bleed them. The inlet manifold is higher than the radiator filler neck so if there's air in the system that's where it goes to.

A really simple model is to fill a bottle in a sink filled with water. As long as you keep the neck of the bottle under the water surface you can lift the water in the base of the bottle higher than the surface of the water in the sink. Lift the neck above the water surface and the water drains out of the bottle. To refill the bottle you need something to lift the water above the height of the bottle base and something to let the air out. In our model that could be a hose filled with water and a hole, to be resealed with plasticine.

The sink is the radiator, the bottle the inlet manifold, the plasticine the bleed valve and the hose in the filler neck the funnel.

Once it's bled, you can top up evaporation loss through the overflow tank (although a leak will be letting air in as well as coolant out).

When bleeding, I will crack the bleed nipple open before the thermostat opens. There's a little 'jiggle' valve in (hopefully the top of, unless it's fitted wrong) the thermostat that lets the air bleed out while the thermostat is still shut. (The full bleed requires the thermostat open and the coolant flowing.)