Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SquishyShoes' vc commy project.

Discussion in 'VB - VC - VH - VK' started by SquishyShoes, Mar 12, 2015.

1. SquishyShoes

SquishyShoes or something like that

Members Ride:
    Shoes
    Hey all, figured I'd put up a thread about my girl.

OWNER: Squish
    MODEL: 1980 VC L
    COLOUR: Red
    ENGINE: 202 Blue with matching 4 speed manual box

Everything's stock as a rock at the moment, but hopefully that'll change in the near future.

Future plans are to keep looking all original as she is now, dress her up like a bit of a granny car maybe?.
    Project's not a project unless you do something though. Current plans are to put in an ecotec engine and t5 out of a series 1 vs (when I get my hands on one:p) in her.
    Currently just doing little things to make her look a little tidier while I work on getting some cash together for the build.

Current Pics

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  2. SquishyShoes

Members Ride:
    Shoes
    Alright, now for the first lot of pics/progress.
    Here she is as she sat when I first picked her up.
    [​IMG]
    The dash had been completely taken apart
    [​IMG]
    But, I spent a few hours figuring out how it all went back together and playing a game of what plastics hasn't been broken. The heater control rods have clipped with pliers or something to get them out lol and the radio is stuffed so I took it out.
    [​IMG]
    The boot had been twisted open when someone tried to get into it, so now it's got a bunch of surface rust (which I'm lazily working on removing) in the boot.
    [​IMG]
    The car had original Aunger headlight protectors on it, but when I started giving things a wash all the paint came off of them. I really liked them though, so I spent a bit of time and effort making them look pretty and giving the grille and font commodore badge a lick of paint. I can't paint straight so I had to tape them up to do them by hand lol
    [​IMG]
    And a comparison of the new paint and how they looked after I had tried to wash them.
    [​IMG]
    The difference between the tired old paint on the commodore badge and the new black.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A comparison between when she first got home,
    [​IMG]
    and after I washed her and gave a few bits of paint here and there.
    [​IMG]
    And what's a car without some stickers? (my favourite part)
    [​IMG]

I resized the photos so they were a bit smaller, should I continue to do that with further updates or make them a little bigger?

Cheers, Squish

convas likes this.
  3. Sandman

Sandman Challenge Accepted

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    Cool to see another VC on here, looks like a great start for a project. Was the radio and original one? I'm chasing a non working once if it is.

4. SquishyShoes

Members Ride:
    Shoes
    Not sure if it's the original one for the car, but it's definitely of the era. Half considering keeping it at this point, but it's broken physically with a missing button or two if you were thinking of making yours look all original.

Come to think of it, it has a cassette player and this is an L, so it's probably an aftermarket player form the 80s.

5. Sandman

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    Hmmm. Show us a photo anyway if you can. Just chasing the front really to mount in front of a new unit.

6. SquishyShoes

Members Ride:
    Shoes
    Hey all, been a while. Two jobs will do that to you I guess :p. I had another look at that radio Sandman, it's really not that great. It's missing the tuner face (the bit with the frequency numbers), all but one of the buttons have fallen out or snapped off and fallen out. The cassette in panel is warped and it's dirty as. I might just hold onto it for now anyway.

In my limited spare time I haven't done much to the car, but I have managed to give it a little bit of a wash and I started to give it a cut. She started off looking like this (and it looks better in photos than it did in person):
    [​IMG]
    I slapped a bit of tape on before starting so that I could see what the difference would be.
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately though, she's 35 years old and still wearing the original paint. So after spending the last few years sitting in a paddock (with her boot open to freely catch rain :/) then parked under a tree (boot shut :D) there are a few imperfections in the paint (and especially noticeable on the bonnet's passenger side when you get close)
    [​IMG]
    Doesn't look too bad when you get a few metres away or catch it on the right angle though (at least in my opinion)
    [​IMG]
    She stopped running and wouldn't start for about four days (and she wouldn't roll back into the shed, shed height was too different to the ground for me to just push her in) due to running out of the last wisp of gas in the tank and then accidentally flooding her trying to start it again :embarrass (plus work :p) so she's only half done.
    [​IMG]
    Gave one of my jobs the flick the other day/week so I'll have to give her another wash this weekend when I have the time and finish the job. As for now, I'm extremely happy with how she's coming up. Just gonna keep on puttering and sporadically updating this thread I guess. Been thinkin about trying to get her onto club rego while I bum about thinking about this conversion and trying to gather parts.

Tune in next week. Same bat time, same bat channel.

7. Sandman

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    Progress is progress man, polish did well, what did you use?

8. SquishyShoes

Members Ride:
    Shoes
    I used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (so a bit of harsh cutting compound rather than a gentle polish), a hand applicator pad, and a microfibre towel to wipe off the excess. Those hand applicators fill up with old paint fast. Half the job was just washing it out (ended up filling a bucket with water and keeping it in the shed, so I didn't have to run out to the front lawn and garden hose :rofl: ). Didn't work half bad on the dirty old chrome pieces either, but I think I'll pick up some metal polish at some stage and do them properly.

Hasn't really been waxed or polished since then, and it's been outside of the shed for.. a little while. So, I'll have to clean off a bit of dust and some muddy cat paw prints :/ before I keep going. Not the worst thing ever mind you, little hard work won't kill me.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  9. SquishyShoes

Members Ride:
    Shoes
    So here's a little bit of what I've done today. Bonnet stand has been failing for a little while:
    [​IMG]
    And I've been planning on putting in bonnet struts for a while now. Unfortunately I noticed this last night from the last time it fell. Which is really annoying since it hit the good headlight cover.
    [​IMG]
    So, I ran around today, picked up the vs guard mounts (I'd ordered the struts earlier in the week) from a local wreckers and went form this:
    [​IMG]
    to this
    [​IMG]

Also, bought a head unit the other week and got some 6 1/2 in speakers for the rear parcel shelf. Here's a pic of the old headunit for you Sandman, it actually looks better in this pic than it actually is haha
    [​IMG]
    The rear speakers fit under the original covers as well, so bonus points. Will probably make up a new parcel shelf out of some mdf before I fit them in properly.
    [​IMG]

Cheers, Squish

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  10. Sandman

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    Struts look good man. What model are they off?
    Headunit looks pretty era correct but not stock. I think I'm going to make up a fake original looking face to go over the pioneer unit I have in there currently.

11. SquishyShoes

Members Ride:
    Shoes
    Good timing, I just came back in from the shed haha. The struts are VL wagon boot struts. Quick tut here. Instead of the VL boot struts ball studs (cause I got my struts new from Autobarn) you can get the ball stud for like $3 each part code MLSMP351.
    Had a mate around earlier who likes to do a bit of 4x4-ing and he suggested turning the struts around, otherwise they are prone to collecting dust/dirt and letting that into the cylinder and wrecking them. Gonna do that in a little bit myself.

How did you wire your head unit in? Did you just solder all the wires to each other or wire them into a connector and plug it in? I'm sure I can wire them straight in to everything, but I don't want to do that and then have to rewire everything in a few month's time when I start thinking about converting this to a v6.

What ideas do you have for faking up a front?

12. Sandman

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    Head unit was done with a wiring colour chart off google and a multimeter/fuse diagram to double check. Just wired into appropriate wires in the fuse box and upped the fuses where needed. The 90's unit that mine had I have no idea how it was done, purely taped and no logic what so ever. Face wise I'm thinking maybe Vacuum forming or something along those lines. Haven't really thought it through yet.

13. VK SL 3800

VK SL 3800 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VK SL 5spd
    Not meaning to hi jack the thread, but is this the radio your looking for?

[​IMG]

14. Sandman

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    Yes it is mate.

15. SquishyShoes

Members Ride:
    Shoes
    Yay! :D

As long as you're here K, how did you go fitting the T5 box into your K? Did you use standard commodore and cut up the floor/make an 'arm' (for lack of a better word) to shift the gear stick forwards or use the falcon rear extension housing? And how did you end up doing your speedo cable? You deleted all of your thread a while back and I didn't get to read through it for info :p

16. Sandman

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    Food for thought, the for T5 has a different shifter position to the Holden one. Not sure if it will fit in a Commodore but I know its supposed to be a better fit for the H series cars. Also CRS do a speedo cable for a T5, around $90 for memory.

17. SquishyShoes

Members Ride:
    Shoes
    Yeh, the ford shifter sits an inch or something forward of the holden one meaning you shouldn't be hitting it on the rear of the hole/centre console. Ford box has a slightly different sized input shaft though. Been reading up on this a bit, but never really talked to a lot of people that have done this specific conversion myself. Haven't heard of it being done much in the H-series cars (love me some hk) but I've seen it's pretty popular with some of the lh/x torana guys to put behind their 5Ls.
    Speedo cables I can't remember jack all about :p haha.

I'd also like to add in that my passenger seat was stuck and the rails wouldn't move for the last several months. Figured I'd have a look at it tonight and fixed it with a good ol' dose of Vitamin Hammer. Good stuff that.

18. VK SL 3800

VK SL 3800 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VK SL 5spd
    You can have it if you want it, worked perfectly fine when i removed it about 8 yrs ago. It was in our HG ute.

Ive got a std shifter, i removed the original floor plate thats riveted on and modified it by cutting a VN-VS one down and putting it over the top of the original one with its hole back to suit the new gearstick position. I never touched the floor of the car itself, in 2nd 4th and R it is a little close but not too bad, it never hits. The only problem i had was i had to cut the center console out further and make a new boot.

Speedo cable came from a local shop, i have a hall effect sensor inline so the computer still gets it VSS reading for idle control and cruise fuel map.
    I also had the drive modified, i got a machine shop to put a small groove in it so i could fit an o-ring under the gear to stop the oil running into the cable.

[​IMG]

19. SquishyShoes

Members Ride:
    Shoes
    Thanks for the info K.

Not a big update, but just thought I'd post that I managed to get this done yesterday. :D
    [​IMG]

Tune in next weekend. Same Bat time. Same Bat channel.

20. SquishyShoes

Members Ride:
    Shoes
    Well, how was everyone's Saturday? I worked then came home and spent a few hours getting this done:
    I pulled out the old parcel shelf and it basically fell apart in my hands so, from this
    [​IMG]
    To this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks really good I reckon (nice and stock) and lets me put in my new 6 1/2 speakers, almost seems a shame to chuck the granny blanket over the top.