Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SquishyShoes' vc commy project.

SquishyShoes

or something like that
Reaction score
Members Ride
Shoes
Struts look good man. What model are they off?
Headunit looks pretty era correct but not stock. I think I'm going to make up a fake original looking face to go over the pioneer unit I have in there currently.

Good timing, I just came back in from the shed haha. The struts are VL wagon boot struts. Quick tut here. Instead of the VL boot struts ball studs (cause I got my struts new from Autobarn) you can get the ball stud for like $3 each part code MLSMP351.
Had a mate around earlier who likes to do a bit of 4x4-ing and he suggested turning the struts around, otherwise they are prone to collecting dust/dirt and letting that into the cylinder and wrecking them. Gonna do that in a little bit myself.

How did you wire your head unit in? Did you just solder all the wires to each other or wire them into a connector and plug it in? I'm sure I can wire them straight in to everything, but I don't want to do that and then have to rewire everything in a few month's time when I start thinking about converting this to a v6.

What ideas do you have for faking up a front?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Head unit was done with a wiring colour chart off google and a multimeter/fuse diagram to double check. Just wired into appropriate wires in the fuse box and upped the fuses where needed. The 90's unit that mine had I have no idea how it was done, purely taped and no logic what so ever. Face wise I'm thinking maybe Vacuum forming or something along those lines. Haven't really thought it through yet.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Not meaning to hi jack the thread, but is this the radio your looking for?

SquishyShoes

or something like that
Reaction score
Members Ride
Shoes
Yay! :D

As long as you're here K, how did you go fitting the T5 box into your K? Did you use standard commodore and cut up the floor/make an 'arm' (for lack of a better word) to shift the gear stick forwards or use the falcon rear extension housing? And how did you end up doing your speedo cable? You deleted all of your thread a while back and I didn't get to read through it for info :p

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Food for thought, the for T5 has a different shifter position to the Holden one. Not sure if it will fit in a Commodore but I know its supposed to be a better fit for the H series cars. Also CRS do a speedo cable for a T5, around $90 for memory.

SquishyShoes

or something like that
Reaction score
Members Ride
Shoes
Food for thought, the for T5 has a different shifter position to the Holden one. Not sure if it will fit in a Commodore but I know its supposed to be a better fit for the H series cars. Also CRS do a speedo cable for a T5, around $90 for memory.

Yeh, the ford shifter sits an inch or something forward of the holden one meaning you shouldn't be hitting it on the rear of the hole/centre console. Ford box has a slightly different sized input shaft though. Been reading up on this a bit, but never really talked to a lot of people that have done this specific conversion myself. Haven't heard of it being done much in the H-series cars (love me some hk) but I've seen it's pretty popular with some of the lh/x torana guys to put behind their 5Ls.
Speedo cables I can't remember jack all about :p haha.

I'd also like to add in that my passenger seat was stuck and the rails wouldn't move for the last several months. Figured I'd have a look at it tonight and fixed it with a good ol' dose of Vitamin Hammer. Good stuff that.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Yes it is mate.

You can have it if you want it, worked perfectly fine when i removed it about 8 yrs ago. It was in our HG ute.

Yay! :D

As long as you're here K, how did you go fitting the T5 box into your K? Did you use standard commodore and cut up the floor/make an 'arm' (for lack of a better word) to shift the gear stick forwards or use the falcon rear extension housing? And how did you end up doing your speedo cable? You deleted all of your thread a while back and I didn't get to read through it for info :p

Ive got a std shifter, i removed the original floor plate thats riveted on and modified it by cutting a VN-VS one down and putting it over the top of the original one with its hole back to suit the new gearstick position. I never touched the floor of the car itself, in 2nd 4th and R it is a little close but not too bad, it never hits. The only problem i had was i had to cut the center console out further and make a new boot.

Speedo cable came from a local shop, i have a hall effect sensor inline so the computer still gets it VSS reading for idle control and cruise fuel map.
I also had the drive modified, i got a machine shop to put a small groove in it so i could fit an o-ring under the gear to stop the oil running into the cable.

SquishyShoes

or something like that
Reaction score
Members Ride
Shoes
Thanks for the info K.

Not a big update, but just thought I'd post that I managed to get this done yesterday. :D

Tune in next weekend. Same Bat time. Same Bat channel.

SquishyShoes

or something like that
Reaction score
Members Ride
Shoes
Well, how was everyone's Saturday? I worked then came home and spent a few hours getting this done:
I pulled out the old parcel shelf and it basically fell apart in my hands so, from this

To this

Looks really good I reckon (nice and stock) and lets me put in my new 6 1/2 speakers, almost seems a shame to chuck the granny blanket over the top.