Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SquishyShoes' vc commy project.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
To ask more annoying questions :p Did the woodgrain cluster plug straight in or did it need different wiring? Got one for mine in the cupboard here too.

SquishyShoes

or something like that
Reaction score
Members Ride
Shoes
Allg man, I love stupid/annoying questions. I'm constantly asking them.

As for engine, I'm going l67, but putting the T5 behind it, hence the need for machining the flywheel (different counter weights on the manual flywheel/auto flexplate). The wood grain cluster? Bolts straight in the same as any other vc cluster, the only thing to keep in mind extra wire for the tacho. There's a two terminal plug, with a blue wire on top and a brown wire on the bottom for the tacho (can't remember off the top of my head what the blue does). Brown wire goes to the negative side of the coil. I'll get a pic of what I'm talking about next time I'm near it.

Anything else?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Sweet, nah should be all good for now. This will be good fun as a manual. As much as I'm not a fan of the L67 this should be great fun to drive. Think your a Victorian yeah? You'll have to bring it to Melbourne once its on the road.

SquishyShoes

or something like that
Reaction score
Members Ride
Shoes
Yup, I'm a Viccie.

Did a quick google this pic shows, in the upper left, what I mean by extra wire (the blue one is the oil pressure like I thought):

30012012035.jpg

When I get a bit closer to done, I'll have to find out if my tacho even works (got it from the wreckers) and if it'll even work with the vs signal. Gonna be fun.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
You will need a tune done to have it run properly, they oly came out auto as you probably know. There is also a few issues with speed sensor due to a t5 being a hall effect and the PCM only accepting a Sinewave type. Most people have it turned off or just left out. Creates a few idle problems during deceleration etc.

SquishyShoes

or something like that
Reaction score
Members Ride
Shoes
Are they major problems with the idle? And does getting a tune done differ to having vats removed and manual burnt in? Read a few times that I should have the vss removed when I do this, but I wasn't aware of the different waves. Btw, when you welded up the crossmember for your gearbox, did you use the original t5 frame with some angle welded or the m20 from the original commy? Any tips/advice, things you got stuck with while you were doing all this? Cheers mate

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
On the back of the cluster, it is marked, oil and taco

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I made one up, its just 40 or 50mm square with right angle on the sides.

With a std engine the VSS should not be much of a problem, sometimes without it plugged in mine will drop the idle a bit low when decelerating and then dipping the clutch between gears and stopping, it will also flare the revs if you load it slightly to crawl forward in traffic and the revs drop below idle speed and then when you push the pedal back in they jump up momentarily. More of an annoyance then actual problem.

There is not a lot of problems, the radiator setup is a bit messy unless you change the bottom crossmember to VN/VS. You can run a V8 radiator but its not as neat as the later model one.

SquishyShoes

or something like that
Reaction score
Members Ride
Shoes
Well, fair bit's been done the last month or two. And a lot of nothing too I guess :p

To start with I rewired the speaker system. The last guy to hook up a radio (twin shaft cassette player, for an idea of how long ago that was) used all green wire for the speakers and just twisted the wires together to join adn wrapped them in electrical tape. All done up properly now.

Torn apart a few things, got the K-Frame painted up in a satin black.
DSC_0743.jpg

Took the car for it's last drive under 202 POWER!
DSC_0699.jpg

Then started to take it apart to tear it out. Much easier after two EFI engines.
DSC_0751.jpg

DSC_0756.jpg

The Vs booster/cylinder were surprisingly easy to sit in. Gave it a knock or two and elongated the holes on the brace/mount a little bit (had it off for the pic I guess)
DSC_0763.jpg

Slapped in some Low King Springs and new Monroe shocks I've had sitting here waiting for like 12 months. Depending on the angle you look at it from, it's about perfect for how I want it.
DSC_0830.jpg

Dad sat the motor in for a test fit to see how low it sits here.

A few weeks later, we got stuck back in and this weekend we got rid of the old battery tray. There was about a dozen spot welds holding it in? It really didn't want to go anywhere.
DSC_0831.jpg

Started dummy fitting the gearbox and will hopefully make the crossmember this weekend.
DSC_0836.jpg

And then just a last one to see how it looks with the air intake sitting there. Doesn't quite sit far enough forward though.
DSC_0834.jpg

I'm sure we've done more that I've forgotten :p
Any questions give me a shout.

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Thats where those cold air intakes sit, running one on one of my toys here....