Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SRS Airbag Fault - VZ Executive

eaglebrad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagib
Yesterday my battery went flat after my son left on some interior lights. I had to jump start the car (following procedures from the manual). After the car restarted a "SRS Airbag Fault" detected message was displayed.

Had the car booked into the dealer the next day so thought I would get it fixed then. They rang to tell me it is going to cost $65 to reset.

They said that if the battery goes flat the the computer has to work out how many airbags the system has and if it can't work it out the fault will be displayed. Question is what if I have to replace the battery does this mean I have to get another reset? Is there any other way the system can be reset without going to a dealer?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
ive had the battery go flat in mine a dew times and never got that, but in saying that it sounds a little b/s but does need to be cleared as disconnecting the battery wont reset it

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Sedan
Well, the big question is whether the SRS will deploy when the display shows "SRS Airbag Fault" and the red light is on. I'm tempted to just cancel the display with the Mode button until a routine service requires diagnostic equipment to be hooked up anyway. Anybody know?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
You have to inform the Techie that there is a problem; in their standardised approach to servicing, little things like warning lamps on the dash may go unnoticed unless it's a comprehensive service (e.g. car under warranty, either new or second hand) that checks the SRS system (all systems checked) with the instrument they plug in. I think generally the Techies will find a problem exists by the feed they are getting from the car's computer and will thus check out the 'fault' and reset it as a matter of routine, rather than charge you for it; dunno what others think, but to me, the $65 charge is an obscene impost.

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
i've heard of this...similar thing happened to my brothers calais..his battery musta been getting shitty on it, you'd start the car, and the SRS fault comes up..about a week later his battery died, replaced it, never done it since..could just be a battery dude...i think i remember something about a low voltage through the system causing the faults to display...not 100% sure, but seems abit coincidential that i've heard of it, and the SRS and battery have all been involved in these events..

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
smae with me, got abs fault, battery died a week later

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
smae with me, got abs fault, battery died a week later

What happens is the battery starts to die and doesnt supply enough voltage to power the IPC which stores SRS configuration information, but still powers the SDM module which also stores the info. Because the SDM cant talk to the IPC, its sets a code "configuration mismatch".

Once a new battery is fitted its a simple case of clearing the code.

P.S. Generally when a present fault code is logged the SRS system is disabled, so if the warning light is illuminated, you have no airbags basically.

The charge sounds like 0.5 hours labour, as most dealers charge around $130 p/h. This includes diagnosing the fault then clearing the codes and testing (making sure it stays cleared).

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
**** mate, you guys in perth charge a shitload...when i was working at holden over here in sydney 98 bux an hour was standard...then there was trade pricing and fleet pricing!