Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SRS Airbag fault

Mattress74

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Ute
G'day guys,
Newby to the forum, my 05 VZ ute has just came up with an SRS airbag fault warning after the start-up system check. The SRS light stays on the dash ? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated..

Angryant

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz executive
I had the same problem, turned out to be the clock spring. Changed it the got srs light reset and all is good

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Can be anything to do with the srs. Needs to be scanned. Typical culprits are the seat belt stalk or the clockspring coil behind the steering wheel. Could also be the sdm. Either way needs to be cleared using a scanner, even after replacing a faulty part

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
In the buckle of the seat belt is a small switch that, when contacted by the belt clasp, signals to the SRS that the safety belt (driver's side) is engaged and the car can be driven off. If the switch has been disabled, is dirty or broken, this state would be relayed to the SRS system and hence the warning you are seeing remaining on, additional to the seat belt sign (with a OBD instrument, there is the choice of disabling this warning light, for whatever obscure reason). Because this SRS warning has implications for safety (e.g. airbag deployment/functionality) it is best not to speculate or experiment and instead have the car taken to a service for investigation.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
If you're not sure what you're talking about best not to comment. Nothing you said has anything to do with srs or an srs fault

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
If you're not sure what you're talking about best not to comment. Nothing you said has anything to do with srs or an srs fault

EXCUSE ME!? If you are going to get uptight and defensive over a suggestion a forum member has made, perhaps you need to get back to work at GM, rather than summarily telling people where they stand.

FYI, I have had that error too, and it was investigated. Now, you fill in the blanks. o_O

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon

The members post above is correct re the SRS.

Actually that switch in the seatbelt stalk, drivers side only causes the warning buzzer to sound over a set KPH limit, it has no implications with the SRS at all. And yes you can disable that seat belt warning easily with a tech2 or similar, and it once again has no impact re the SRS.

Re the SRS fault, it could be a clock spring, or a multitude of other issues, and a scan with a tech2 or similar will pin point the issue. The most common issue is someone disconnecting an SRS part, seat, bag etc. and turning the ignition on, causing a fault to be logged until cleared.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Nothing uptight about accuracy.. my comments arent to be mistaken as opinion, I stick to fact.

I dont mind people making suggestions.. but to lead someone down the wrong path with a completely made up paragraph of information and attempt to pass it off as logical scenario.. i just dont understand what drives people to do it.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
The members post above is correct re the SRS.

Actually that switch in the seatbelt stalk, drivers side only causes the warning buzzer to sound over a set KPH limit, it has no implications with the SRS at all. And yes you can disable that seat belt warning easily with a tech2 or similar, and it once again has no impact re the SRS.

Re the SRS fault, it could be a clock spring, or a multitude of other issues, and a scan with a tech2 or similar will pin point the issue. The most common issue is someone disconnecting an SRS part, seat, bag etc. and turning the ignition on, causing a fault to be logged until cleared.

100% although you rarely get people admitting they unplugged something.. we all they did lol

JohannesM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2004 Station Wagon 6Cyl Ecotech Luminaire
G'day guys,
Newby to the forum, my 05 VZ ute has just came up with an SRS airbag fault warning after the start-up system check. The SRS light stays on the dash ? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated..

Ok could be a few things, but one is that if there is a fault in the stalker (the part where the seat belt fits into) the electronic contacts inside the stalker, you will have to replace the stalkers, reason that I too did have the same problem and once replaced and had the faulty code removed it had resolved my problem with the SRS warning light. Check with ozzcarparts in Smithfield. Also if u had a front collision than its possible that the SRS Module located under the center console is faulty, needs to be replaced (cannot be repaired) you can get the part number from the original one fitted b4 u buy one. also this needs to be re coded by a mechanic using the correct equipment - to suit your car vin number as a SH one will still have the vin number of the car it was removed from. You can go to Super Cheap Auto (only $15 ) as they can get the fault codes to confirm the problem before proceeding with any work. Also NOT A GOOD IDEA TO JUST REMOVE THE SEAT-BELT WARNING LIGHT OR BUZZER as its there for a reason, your safety.

Check all the connections first. Also any parts/connectors that are removed/replaced that are SEAT BELT related you need to disconnect the battery before doing any of this work, very important!

Last edited: