Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

srs code 53..... wrong seats?

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
im trying to get rid of my airbag light on the dash. did the tensioners, then resetting the light with scan tool failed. now ive changed the sdm for the same one i had in the car, but my light is still on. im assuming i need to reset it again with the scan tool, but, i had another thought. (ouch!)
when i first got the car, i put better seats in. these had the extra plug on the rail for side airbags, which i havent got in my car. so nothing is plugged into the side airbag plug on the seat. would this be causing my fault code 53 (configuration mismatch?) or should it be ok with nothing plugged in.
im hoping the light just goes when i get the tech 2 scanner onto it, but am a little concerned with this seat thing. worst case scenario i spose is getting the right seats back in the car, or the rails at least.

if anyone knows anything on this it would be great

thanks

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
tech2 will write the cpu with the right number of bags

i assume you changed seats with ones that have no bags

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
well, i dont think the seats have airbags, but they do have an extra plug for side airbags which i dont have. the plug is orange. i have no wiring in my car to put in it

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
thats slightly illegal but anyhoo

the tech2 will tell your car you only have the 2 front bags and leave it at that

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
I don't know if this is relevant but code 53 on my fault code list is "system voltage too high"

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
for sdm version 6.2, code 53 is: vehicle configuration mismatch. *this code will set when a sdm has been fitted to a vehicle that has the wrong configuration of pre-tensioners and air bags that the sdm was intended for. check sdm label and part number.

for sdm version 8.0 + 8.1, code 53 is: left seat, seatbelt pretensioner circuit resistance too high.

i think mine is a 6.2, as on the scan tool i saw the screen say vehicle config mismatch... although the sdm was the original. im hoping the scan tool produces this code also if the sdm is toasted, making it happy days for me if so.

im not that lucky usually though :p

Epalmer

Commo-Nub.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
How much does it cost for holden to take that off? o.o" I've got it on mine too. ._.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I dont know if any of this can help,but if the SRS modules are anything like the VS setup,then the module has to be programmed from new to the SRS specs of the car.Im not sure if this can be reprogrammed again to suit a car with a different SRS configuration.In the VS,when I connect the tech 1 to it,it reads out certain parameters,like mine has only got the drivers side airbag,so it shows 06 as its version.If it had the passenger side airbag as well,then it would show version 08.Ive also noticed that it has settings there for seatbelt pre tensioners, although these are not used, as the VS didnt have pre tensioners fitted,not even as an option..Heres a copy of the VS SRS diagnostics page for the tech 1 ,it might give you a bit of an idea as to how it all works if they are the same or similar systems still.The error codes still seem to be the same.

3.3 TECH 1 DIAGNOSTICS

TECH 1 interfaces with the SRS serial data communication information via the Data Link Connector (DLC), which is attached to the instrument panel lower right hand trim, to the left of the steering column.
1. Ensure that ignition switch is in 'OFF' position.2. Install VS/T4 Systems cartridge to TECH 1. Ensure that there is no other cartridge installed in opposite port of TECH 1.3. Ensure that DLC adaptor is fitted to TECH 1 lead and connect adaptor to DLC.4. TECH 1 ready for operation.For additional general information on connecting and operating TECH 1, refer to TECH 1 OPERATOR'S MANUAL supplied with the cartridge.The Tech 1 has three modes for diagnosing the SRS. The three modes as detailed on the following page:

F5: SRS, F0: DATA LIST

With Tech 1 in the F5: SRS, F0: DATA LIST mode, the following chart displays the Tech 1 screen data list pairs. A description explaining the display is included in the chart.
For additional information on selecting different systems and scrolling through the various screens, refer to the Tech 1 Operators Manual supplied with the VS/T4 SYSTEMS Cartridge.

SCREEN DISPLAY PAIR DESCRIPTION
AIRBAG CONFIG DRV & PASS This screen displays what system configuration the SDM has been programmed for. This example displays that the SDM has been programmed at manufacture for a driver's and front passenger's air bags.Other displays are for DRIVER SRS for driver's air bag only and NOT PROGRMD should the SDM not be configured. If NOT PROGRMD is displayed, the SDM must be replaced.
PRETENS. CONFIG NONE Not applicable to VS Series Models.
DRV RESISTANCE 2.1 OHMS Displays resistance of driver's air bag loop resistances. Typically resistance should be approximately 2.1 Ohms. If 6.3 Ohm is displayed, the driver's air bag loop is open circuited.
PASS RESISTANCE 2.2 OHMS Displays resistance of front passenger's air bag loop resistances. Typically resistance should be approximately 2.2 Ohms. If 6.3 Ohm is displayed, the front passenger's air bag loop is open circuited.
DR PRETEN RESIST 6.3 OHMS Not applicable to VS Series Models.
P. PRETEN RESIST 6.3 OHMS Not applicable to VS Series Models.
SRS LAMP ON Displays current state of the SDM's internal SRS 'AIRBAG' warning lamp driver.
SYSTEM VOLTAGE 13.9 V Displays vehicle system input voltage to SDM terminal no. 8
SRS LAMP ON Displays current state of the SDM's internal SRS 'AIRBAG' warning lamp driver.
DTC STATUS NO DTC's Displays NO DTC's or DTC's SET to indicate if any system faults are detected by the SDM.
F5: SRS, F1: SRS P/N-VER DATA LIST

With Tech 1 in the F5: SRS, F1: SRS P/N VER DATA LIST mode, the following chart displays the Tech 1 screen data list pairs. A description explaining the display is included in the chart.
For additional information on selecting different systems and scrolling through the various screens, refer to the Tech 1 Operators Manual supplied with the VS SYSTEMS Cartridge.

SCREEN DISPLAY PAIR DESCRIPTION
SRS MODULE P/N16208008 Displays SDM assembly part number.16208008 Driver's and front passenger's airbag SDM.16201049 Driver's air bag only SDM.
SRS S/W P/NS1H96xXZxx Displays SDM's internal software part number.
SRS VERSION08 This screen displays what system configuration the SDM has been programmed for.08 Driver's and front passenger's airbags.06 Driver's air bag only.
PRODUCTION DATEWWYY Displays the SDM production date. The first two digits (WW) indicate the week no. of the year (numbers from 01 to 52) with the last two digits (YY) indicating the year of manufacture.
F5: SRS, F2: DTC

In this mode, diagnostic trouble codes (either current or history) stored in the SDM's memory may be displayed or cleared.
The following chart sets out all the possible diagnostic trouble codes as indicated by TECH 1.
Refer to the relevant diagnostic chart in this Section when attempting rectification of a system problem or failure.

DTC CODE DESCRIPTION PAGE No. IN THIS SECTION
13 Driver's Airbag Circuit Short to Earth
15 Driver's Airbag Circuit Short to Battery
23 Passenger's Airbag Circuit Short to Earth
25 Passenger's Airbag Circuit Short to Battery
31 Driver's Airbag Loop Resistance High
32 Driver's Airbag Loop Resistance Low
33 Passenger's Airbag Loop Resistance High
34 Passenger's Airbag Loop Resistance Low
43 SRS Warning Lamp Short to Battery
44 SRS Warning Lamp Circuit Fault
48 Ignition Input Voltage Low
49 Ignition Input Voltage High
53 Configuration Mis-Match
55 Sensing Diagnostic Module Fault
66 Airbag Deployment Commanded

Last edited:

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
Wait so you replaced non airbag front seats with better condition seats that have airbags, how is that illegal or how would that give you a code fualt?

its illegal to have non working airbags in the car