Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

srs

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
vx_rosso, the srs system is complex. It WILL however report if an air bag is faulty or seat belt pretensioner. The system will NOT always inflate the air bag(s), it simply depends on the conditions. But most probably your seat belt tensioners were activated, if not, then the srs system deemed it unsafe.

VY Rossi

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY SS 5.7L M6
oh ok then cheers ive always wondered why they didnt go off it stuffed the car good i think it was somethin like $20000 worth of damage

Junny

purrrrrr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo + shitty painted vp
oh ok then cheers ive always wondered why they didnt go off it stuffed the car good i think it was somethin like $20000 worth of damage

so your car blew up? coz 20k is ave for vys now if you get what i mean

VY Rossi

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY SS 5.7L M6
this was in a vx lumina here are some pics of what i did to it

Attachments

• 13092008(001).jpg
    13092008(001).jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 187
  • 13092008.jpg
    13092008.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 23092008.jpg
    23092008.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 186

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
For deployment to occur, numerous factors must be taken into account. For instance, the crush area of the other vehicle (if involved in the crash), its mass and speed would all contribute to raising or lowering the force required for deployment to occur as designed. As a general rule, for front air bags and pre-tensioners, the angle of impact force will be within the 60 degree window for SRS deployment to occur (refer Fig. 12M-2), although the physical damage to the vehicle may appear that it was.
The sensors that control the front air bags and seat belt pre-tensioner deployment are incorporated in the Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM), located beneath the centre console.
There are two sensors (peripheral acceleration sensors) that control the deployment of the side air bags; one in the left hand B pillar, and the other in the right hand B pillar. If a peripheral acceleration sensor detects a crash situation, it will send a signal to the SDM requesting a side air bag be deployed. If the SDM is in agreement, deployment will occur.
Regular maintenance of SRS is not required. If at anytime the SRS warning lamp comes on while driving, or does not come on when the vehicle is started, there is a system fault and this must be rectified as soon as possible.

Thats straight from the Holden Manual.

Judging by your damage the SDM decided not to set them off! And it doesn't look that bad anyways so i can see why not. If it was written off you should've grabbed the air bags, they're expenisve to replace, and people pay a fair bit! :)

VY Rossi

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY SS 5.7L M6
cheers for that alien yea i should have now as i look back on it but at the time i wasnt thinking bout that was in to much pain from copping the steering wheel to the chest and whiplash