Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS and Executive - Difference?

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Hi guys,

Just wondering what the difference is between a Series II VR Ute V8 Executive and a VR SS Ute.

I know the obvious appearance and trim changes but anything different internally or power wise?

Cheers for the info

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
There was never a VR SS ute to my knowledge?? But no matter what, all holden v8s were 165kW

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
^ thats right,there was a vs ss ute though,but as said,just the same power as any other v8 unless hsv enhanced

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Cheers for the info guys. So VR V8 Ute's only came as Executive or Maloo? Bit sad that they only came out in HSV or poverty pack, no inbetween!?

Another stupid question - How to tell if you have the hsv enhanced engine? Prior owner said it may be HSV enhanced but it doesn't have HSV plates or anything. Any markings or anything on the 5L?

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
There will not be any markings cause hsv did nothing to the motors at all(except put 185 stickers on the rocker covers). Its only a knock sensor and a tune in the ecu. If you have it then great, but if not get one of the tuners on here to knock u up a chip that will outdo the 185 chip anyway.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
There will not be any markings cause hsv did nothing to the motors at all(except put 185 stickers on the rocker covers). Its only a knock sensor and a tune in the ecu. If you have it then great, but if not get one of the tuners on here to knock u up a chip that will outdo the 185 chip anyway.

Sounds like a plan. Anyone you recommend? Haven't seen Greenfoam lurking around in a while and he is the only one I have heard of (apologies to other tuners on here).

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Get on to him on Ebay, nicefrog is his username on there.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
as above, or delcowizzard is the other. Theres also drbob but i think hes more expensive. I think theres another but cant remember. Greenfoam(nicefrog) i can vouch for as i run one of his tunes myself and have been for a few years now.

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L

wrong, hsv enhanced consisted of cold air induction,exhaust,extractors,tune and knock sensor. if its enhanced it will have a hsv build plate on the firewall... bit as said,you can probably get a better aftermarket tune anyway