Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS braided brake lines and pads

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by 91SS, Oct 31, 2017.

1. 91SS

91SS New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
    Hi all,
    My first post here great forum was previously on VNSS forum. Have my VNSS since 1994.

Anyway want to keep it original pretty much so have standard wheels and am just about to fit a set of DBA T2 slotted rotors up front (made in Australia batch) and was considering which pad to go for. I just want improved stopping power even from cold as its back to being a daily as well as a cruiser for now with very low noise and dust and don't do a lot of repeated hard stops so fade at higher temperatures not so much of a problem.

For the same reason was considering ADR approved flexible lines maybe from Brakequip or Safebrake (so car can easily be back to stock). Any ideas re safety and performance? The other concern is at registration time have heard that even though ADR approved if vehicle wasn't fitted with these originally it's not legal.
    Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. harrop.senator

harrop.senator Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr senator 355, vu 5 speed l67
    I have safebrake in my senator adr approved haven't had issues yet . Honestly id just probably run some Thermo quiets in them having good initial bite and outright performance barely go in the same sentence.

I myself wouldn't really have wasted the money on the stock brakes and gone vt. But to late now after spending the big bucks on the rotors already.

Ebc Red and Green are useless cold good upgrade warm.
    Project mu slightly better cold great warm.
    Ferodo performance and the bendiz Ultimates are good but quiet pricey and don't believe they work much better then Thermos personally.

Thermos are low dust low noise easy bed in with the ceramic strip and decently priced. It's now the only Pad we use when available at work.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  3. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    QFM are the way to go, made in Australia and quite cheap too. If you want something more performance orientated try their HPX pads, they're usually around $70-100 for those pads.

losh1971 likes this.
  4. harrop.senator

harrop.senator Active Member

Members Ride:
    vr senator 355, vu 5 speed l67
    Ooh totally forgot about qfm. Are the standards much better then the norm standards? I don't think he'll like the reaction time of the hpx their a little slow to warm up.

5. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    I've got vt brakes in my Vs with just standard qfm pads and they're awesome. Had the hpx pads back when it had stock vs rotors and didn't notice any cold performance issues.

On the street for the price I'm very happy with the standard qfm's and they're a great price too. Quiet, last ages, don't chew discs and aren't very dusty - I'm usually pretty hard on pads too. Brake place near me sell almost exclusively qfm and I know quite a few guys who swear by them.

6. 91SS

91SS New Member

Members Ride:
    Couldn't find thermos quiets for VN! So with t
    Couldn't find part no for these for VN. Also any improvement noticed with braided lines? And any hasles rego time?

So there the QFM premiums? Might try them. Do you think they are better than say ACDelco stock pads for example?

7. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I overhauled my fronts as they were due for rotors and pads. I went with QFM HPX, with standard rotors and cleaned and new seals in the calipers. I also fitted stainless lines. From what I had which was ok it has made a real decent improvement. I have had a lot of discussions over the years from blokes in the know about brakes and HPX's seemed to be the go for street driving. I definitely recommend braided lines if your sticking with stock calipers. Mine still has some sponge but a hell of a lot less than stock. Braided rears will take care of most of that when I overhaul them. Bendix are ok but not Ulitmates as they are harsh on rotors of you're street driving. I'm more than happy with my front set up. Just make sure you bed them in as it says on the box. I used to use Bendix and never had an issue but I used EBC's once and I cracked my rotors in 10 places on each one because I didn't bed them in where as Bendix GCT you don't have too. I only noticed the cracks when I was due for pads and they hardly lasted, EBC that is. Other good thing already mentioned about QFM's is they run clean unlike some other pads. For 70 bucks del, on eBay I wouldn't even bother looking at any other pads if your street driving.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  8. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Question have you bought the rotors yet? If not you don't really need slotted for street driving and the cost will outweigh the benefits. Slots are there for degassing under hard braking conds and if your just cruising the streets you wont get the benefit from them. Slotted are often not preferred performance rotors either as they can crack. Dimpled rotors are considered more reliable and perform the same job. Any rotors with dimples, holes or slots can be harder to machine as they can sometimes chatter on brake lathe. I machine or replace rotors every pad change or you can get shudder I have had it before when places have not done the former. My old mech said to me if it's an auto, machine or replace every time.

BRB just preparing my flame suit because most will disagree with my last point....lol

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  9. 91SS

91SS New Member

Members Ride:
    Thx for the information.
    I have already bought T2 dba slotted rotors and went QFM HPX new bearings and replacing botb steering boots as one just split. Bought slots 170 pair so couldn't say no.
    On recommendations from here and brakes direct went new rubber hoses as he told me no real difference on the street. Hopefully this package will give some improvement . In 94 when i bought car lines were already a couole of years old and these expand less under test.
    Looking to get this done by someone within a week so I'll let people now. For probably 400 couldn't be bothered doing this myself.

10. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I've upgrade to SS braided for a while now and noticed a fair improvement. Admittedly it's been the times where I have stomped on the brakes I have noticed it the most. I guess if you buy new rubber hoses they have less flex than 20 year old ones. Be a good idea to overhaul the calipers then you know they are good for a long-time afterwards, since you're going all out anyway. When I did mine they weren't sticking but they looked like they needed a good clean once I got them apart. All the above you mentioned for 400 bucks is fairly straightforward and doable yourself. But then again people say that to me and I handball jobs to a mech that maybe I could tackle myself.

11. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Think I paid $58 for a pair inc del of Bosch through eBay (rebadged something) with 20% off voucher. Seem ok. Reckon for the price when it comes to new pads I will get another pair of rotors and not even bother machining them as it's $30 or $35ea now to get them machined, and I don't have to figure out transport while the ute is off the road.

12. 91SS

91SS New Member

Members Ride:
    Gee thats good price I got that 20% voucher too. Beats machining.
    Thats the beauty of our cars going up in value but new spares at least almost given away.
    Callipers feel good always change fluid often no leaks but in case I need calliper kit didn't see one on ebay.
    Where did you get yours?

13. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    eBay I got mine. They sell pretty quick. I had one in my watch list and then it sold but it got relisted.

14. 91SS

91SS New Member

Members Ride:
    Update

Fitted front dba slotted rotors and QFM HPX new bearings and steering boots. With new rubber brake lines.

Anyway very happy with it. Nearly as quiet as OEM and low dust and smooth.
    Pedal travel still soft as always been since I had car in 1994 so no real change from brake lines but I weren't new so no harm replacing.
    Pads and rotors done about 200k and getting better daily. Pedal feel for 1st 3rd less than OEM about the same as OEM for middle third and far superior for ladt third and it pulls car up many car lengths quicker for medium to firm stops.

losh1971 likes this.