Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS exhaust problem

caspanixon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi, first time poster here so please be gentle.

Recently purchased an 06 SSV manual transmission and the exhaust that was fitted is extremely loud and droning under 2000rpm, anything above that it sounds fantastic.
The exhaust has new extractors (don't know size), stock cats, 3" mild steel connected to stainless 10" hotdogs, 3" stainless through to rear mufflers which are basically hollow.
Other mods are CAI fed with stainless tubing, tune (no idea what type).

I went to a performance shop and the guy there told me it was the hotdogs with just a quick glance and quoted me $940 to get them changed to mufflers, which is something I could just do myself if I sourced the parts. I know there are a lot of exhaust threads but I haven't been able to find something similar to my problem. It makes it very unpleasant to drive @ 110kmph and you can hear the drone over max volume stereo.

What I'm aiming for is a deep tone that is loud at anything over 2000 rpm but when cruising it is quiet and to get rid of the drone.

Any help is appreciated

Last edited:

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Try a set of factory VE SS mufflers that have come off an SS with AFM. Then go from there, and it wont cost you a lot.

caspanixon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Only issue I have with that is if they don't fix my problem I have myself a set of useless mufflers that not a lot of people want, considering I'm in a country town.

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 MY08 WM Caprice 6.0L V8
If i'm not mistaken NAAF (Not_An_Abba_Fan) has his shop in Bunbury, if you're not too far from him perhaps a visit to his shop could help you get it sorted. also could cost less than troubleshooting yourself.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
By the sounds of it, it's not a very well made system. Just put on for maximum flow and nothing else. Personally, I would turf it and start again. No need for stainless, I can send you a twin 3" mild steel system for $1495, but without knowing the brand of extractors, I couldn't guarantee it would fit straight up.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
So you like it except for the drone, and that makes it too loud 1450-1950rpm. If you can get an idea of the sound frequency (likely 110-120hz), you can cancel out that noise at that rpm bandwidth using helmholtz pipes for around $300 installed.
Search the site for these (not the straight-thru j-pipes axleback), as it really works to make my car quiet 110kph and ultra low rpm cruising.

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
So you like it except for the drone, and that makes it too loud 1450-1950rpm. If you can get an idea of the sound frequency (likely 110-120hz), you can cancel out that noise at that rpm bandwidth using helmholtz pipes for around $300 installed.
Search the site for these (not the straight-thru j-pipes axleback), as it really works to make my car quiet 110kph and ultra low rpm cruising.
Never heard of them before, maths looks sound (excuse the pun) to me, very interesting, thanks for that :)

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Tuned length vs Bi-modal to beat drone

Never heard of them before, maths looks sound (excuse the pun) to me, very interesting, thanks for that :)

Yeah works in a spooky way, in that the human ear can't perceive direction of low frequency effects (LFE), and this mod acts like a bandwidth noise filter 100hz-120hz.

The result is that you still retain all the thunder (20-100hz) and rumble as presence at idle and low revs but not a loud sound per sé even standing directly behind.

Below is a video with the car running,
and unless you have a full spectrum amp and speakers / headphones you won't pick up any LFE until higher rpm no matter how much you turn it up.

In real life you can feel the rumble outside the car at idle and noise kicks in just before 2000rpm. Then it's progressively loud and clear, so turn it up:

[video=youtube_share;kUuJi3O85hQ]http://youtu.be/kUuJi3O85hQ[/video]