Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS headlights

jesse3.8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Tried to the ss taillight conversion but failing miserably here's a few pics if anyone has a suggestion cause i've given up

Last edited:

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
Tried to the ss taillight conversion but failing miserably here's a few pics if anyone has a suggestion cause i've given up

I can see what your problem is,you're attempting a taillight conversion on the headlights.You've got the wrong end of the car :) .

jesse3.8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
funny man,, good pik up tho

madgamer2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive 2003
The glue need to be hotter, i worked on a little area at a time with a hairdryer.... firstly i went around the light heating it near the clips and levered them up so they are no longer catching the clear plastic front.

Next i worked between the clips heating the glue, running a small screwdriver between the seal and pulling out the overflow glue.... you do this all the way around.

Next Start the lever start on one corner of the light, heat it up real well and lever it with a screw driver, if the plastic of the headlight starts to bend or chip, find a stonger area to lever.

Work Down the headlight from the first corner down to about the middle (on both sides of the light) It gets a little easier from here.

I got a second person here.

I heated the each side for a while (few mins each side) and then from where you separated it from the top you should be able to pry it with you hands by pulling it apart. Remember to keep the glue hot/warm.

The glue usally is stringy so just break the strands as you go.

THIS PROCESS IS REALLY SLOW... TOOK ABOUT 1hour 30mins each

jesse3.8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
hey thanks mate

I heated it up a bit more and starting to get somewhere, 1 half hour sounds about write

The back half is taking a beating bending everywhere

Is this ok?

madgamer2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive 2003
Try lever it in several places in a small area, rather than 1 place. it stops the bending and chipping of the plastic. Overall its the inside that you will be looking at, so dont be 2 worried :)

jesse3.8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
ok but how does it go when putting the headlight back in with all the grey back bit chipped and pried

im seriously considering canning it

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
Get your local smash repair bloke to do it for you... offer him a quick cashy or pay him in beer;)

jesse3.8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
canned. been a complete waste of time and effort not worth it
rather spend my time working over time and get the real thing

thanks for help