Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ss/hsv bits on a base model.. am i a hypocrite?

fluxxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S1
this may have been discussed before and no doubt some people are going to have some strong views on this, but here goes:

most work days i see a vt exec with a full vx clubby kit on it. its got lights, wheels and even a few hsv badges and it sits so high off the ground that it looks like you could take it 4wd'ing. i know the person who owns it probably loves it to death and thats all that really counts, but i still cant help laughing when i see a mocked up ss or hsv.

ive even been arguing with my little brother about him trying to turn a stock ba falcon into a gtp... but now here i am thinking about putting a calais interior and vz ss head and tail lights onto my vy acclaim

what do people think? is it ok to mock up base model cars to look like something theyre not? am i being a hypocrite? do people feel there is a line which shouldnt be crossed whereby some things are other and some are not?

matt :)

SVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ Commodore
i guess it's the fun and gratification out of accomplishing something why not
upgrade parts as long as it is tastefully done if we never upgraded parts life would be boring not everyone can afford hsv's and luxury sports cars so why not make it your way

VZ-Rob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZS-Ute06
Go for it the SS VZ headlights are cool :thumbsup:
would look ok

Nobody Actually

luxo barge
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 wm Caprice
as long as you don't try and claim it's the real deal, it's a mock-up. if you try and lie it becomes a mockery...........

my 2c

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
this may have been discussed before and no doubt some people are going to have some strong views on this, but here goes:

most work days i see a vt exec with a full vx clubby kit on it. its got lights, wheels and even a few hsv badges and it sits so high off the ground that it looks like you could take it 4wd'ing. i know the person who owns it probably loves it to death and thats all that really counts, but i still cant help laughing when i see a mocked up ss or hsv.

ive even been arguing with my little brother about him trying to turn a stock ba falcon into a gtp... but now here i am thinking about putting a calais interior and vz ss head and tail lights onto my vy acclaim

what do people think? is it ok to mock up base model cars to look like something theyre not? am i being a hypocrite? do people feel there is a line which shouldnt be crossed whereby some things are other and some are not?

matt :)

For me personally, you cross the line with badges. Never badge something to make it look like something its not.

And if you are going to make something look like a HSV, make it move quicker than a stocko or atleast have good plans for it.

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
1991_Vn2nV is right sure put kits on change this change that but dont rebadge it a lot of people do modifications that look like crap but then theres a lot of people that put kits on their car and change this change that and it looks awesome when in the beggining it might of only been a poverty pack what does it matter its not a poverty pack anymore its a "custom pack" :D

ssmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss thunder
For me personally, you cross the line with badges. Never badge something to make it look like something its not.

And if you are going to make something look like a HSV, make it move quicker than a stocko or atleast have good plans for it.

well said . .

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
I see a black VT acclaim, with VX rear lights (NOT berlina/calais), it looks like an SS body kit, VY SS rims and VY SS badges, the badges are even on crooked, under the SS badge on the boot it still has the Acclaim badge.

I've also seen a blue VT, has an SS bodykit, VY SS badges, VX SS rims, VT Clubsport badges (under the SS badges) and again, the SS badges put on crooked... It looks shocking.

I think the only acceptable way is if you put later model bages on the same model older car (eg. VX SS badges on a VN SS) but that just my opinion. Eath to their own.

TI0350

Reaction score
Website
www.kts350.com.au
Members Ride
White S2 LX Captiva Diesel
Personally I wouldn't do it, it's badge thing for me as well.. After owning a brockie and now an SS I get a little miffed when I see someone trying to make their out to be something it isn't..
I was cruising around with a mate the other day and pointed to what looked like from behind a VZ Clubby had all the badges as we were pulling along side clubby.. As we pulled up along side and my mate starts laughing he points to the front guard and it's still got the V6 badge on it..

antvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged V6 VT S
if its done properly and it looks good then i dont see an issue, but as others have said, when it comes to badges, dont go there. My bro has a VT v6 wagon, with statesman front and it looks great, dont get me wrong, but the previous owner was gonna put a gen3 in and had already put the badges on in anticipation, but never got around to the conversion. Its still a V6, and the Gen3 badges are still there. it annoys me, but hes happy.