Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS inductions CAI - is it worth it?

E

Erik-the-Red

is it worth going for a SS inductions branded CAI? i mean, really, $450 for a piece of plastic?

does anyone else do a big-mouth style air intake? the only one's i've been able to find look are only about 20cm or so wide, which is what is on their already over the radiator

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
yeah i got one for a vn
i personally would never pay that for 2 peices of plastic.
i got one cause it was on my car when i bought it.
it also has been modified by the person i bought it from.
they cut out the middle bit on it.

it does give your more power than a pod in my opinion.
mainly more low end.
like you plant it in second at 1000rpm goin round a corner and will drift.
with the pod u need to get it up higher till you can spin em.
on private property of cause.
would take a pic but camera battery is flat

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
maybe try the Holden VS V6 SC one, should be able to get it from your local Holden dealer:thumbsup:

edit: quoting from an American NOS tuning book "for every 11 degrees F you can lower your intake temp, your rewarded with approx a 1% increase in Hp,so if your undehood temps is 165 degrees F and the outsid temp is 80 degrees F, by ducting outside cool air to the intake you get a 7.7% increase in power, or if your engine is running at 100 hp then with the cold air ducted to the intake you would have 107.7 hp, or 7.7 hp FREE"

Last edited:

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
$450 christ they are criminals to sell it at that price.

Even the best home made "semi-professional" CAI would not cost a hundred bucks, and it would work a heap better.

Temp at the CAI intake is mostly lost as air travels along the hot air box, and the very hot black corrugated intake hose where most possible advantages of cool air is lost, the only advantage is the volume of air pushed in rather than sucked in, being semi ram flow.

The only way to have genuine CAI requires complicated bonnet / sealed pod type, or to insulate the large black hose with both asbestos wrap and aluminium foil, and a insulated heat deflector between the inlet and headers.

Having the headers so close to the inlet defeats any definitive true cold air HP, like on rainy days where the air is heavy where all vehicles have more grunt.

Similar to by theory but opposite to altitude tuning where the air is very thin reducing HP.

The asbestos wrap covered by aluminium foil with a deflector would give a noticeable HP increase and costs a heap less that $450.

Anyone interested in having the gear for turbo engines, extractor / manifold wrap and all the gear needed, check this place out.

http://www.thermotec.com/products/full/full.html

Last edited:

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
You can buy an original Holden Cold Air Intake off eBay from time to time... usually they are around $50 :thumbsup:

edit:: whoops I didn't look at what your ride is... I dont know if the original VS CAI will fit that model.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
just get some exhaust header wrap and wrap it around the intake tube etc. better yet wrap it around the exhaust as well or get the exhaust HPC coated for the ultimate thermal control. also get the intake manifold coated as well to prevent the manifold heating the intake charge whilst your at it. it really come down to the more HP you want the more $$$ you spend or HP = $$$:whistling