Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS Inductions GROWLER CAI on Statesman WH V6 - Whistling noise and Pink Slip Drama

bongoozy

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Dear ALL

I have been using SS Inductions GROWLER COLD AIR INDUCTION Part no. CAI031 on my Statesman WH V6.

Since the Growler kit is fitted there is a whistling/hissing noise when I accelerate. I had contacted SS Inductions and received a 1 liner email from Mr. Shane Podmore advising that the whistling noise is not normal.
Searched the forum and got the idea of checking the Purge Hose. Is there anything else that I should check.
I have cleaned the MAF and throttle body.
I am kindly requesting the forum members who are using the product to comment on the whistling/hissing noise if any while accelerating. In my case the intensity of the noise is an annoyance and the music system should be unreasonably load to supress the whistling noise.

Another drama when I went for a safety check/pink slip to renew the rego of my car.
The mechanic refused/failed the safety check since the CAI is fitted. I argued that it is not a backyard job and is sold by an Australian registered company. The mechanic was very adamant about the CAI and said that he can't pass the safety check due to the CAI. The mechanic also advised that there is a change in rules since last year and on the basis of that change he have every right to refuse a pink slip.
I was mad with his attitude and was very confused with the information that he provided.
Contacted SS Inductions and got the reply as under:
Hi Sam,
As far as we know and could find out, that is not true. We have even had the AAAA tell us that there has been no such change regarding cold air inductions.
I hope this helps.
Kind regards

Can anyone please advice who can confirm me this fact. I want to report the mechanic if he is wrong.

Thanks in advance.

CAPRILICIOUS WL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL CAPRICE
I have the same setup CAI but on a alloytec 190 engine.

Double check the clips and hoses for the cai is all ok and has no cracks.
There could be a vacuum leak.
If that's all good, try fit up the stock air box setup and observe if that will eliminate the hissing noise.

If still present then it's not the CAI and is coming from another location in the engine bay.

Le us know how you go.
Cheers
Dave.

In regards to the pinkslip I'm no too sure on that as I'm in Vic and were only allowed one engine mod. I could be wrong.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
I calling bullshit on a CAI not passing road worthy as long as it secured and your car still passes releveant emissions and noise restrictions I doubt its elligal and remenber some cars have then as a factory fitted and SS reductions are renouned for ripping off the factory designs anyway ,I would just remove it to just get it passed and then put it back on afterwards

Last edited:

97VTSS

Dear ALL

I have been using SS Inductions GROWLER COLD AIR INDUCTION Part no. CAI031 on my Statesman WH V6.

Since the Growler kit is fitted there is a whistling/hissing noise when I accelerate. I had contacted SS Inductions and received a 1 liner email from Mr. Shane Podmore advising that the whistling noise is not normal.
Searched the forum and got the idea of checking the Purge Hose. Is there anything else that I should check.
I have cleaned the MAF and throttle body.
I am kindly requesting the forum members who are using the product to comment on the whistling/hissing noise if any while accelerating. In my case the intensity of the noise is an annoyance and the music system should be unreasonably load to supress the whistling noise.

Another drama when I went for a safety check/pink slip to renew the rego of my car.
The mechanic refused/failed the safety check since the CAI is fitted. I argued that it is not a backyard job and is sold by an Australian registered company. The mechanic was very adamant about the CAI and said that he can't pass the safety check due to the CAI. The mechanic also advised that there is a change in rules since last year and on the basis of that change he have every right to refuse a pink slip.
I was mad with his attitude and was very confused with the information that he provided.
Contacted SS Inductions and got the reply as under:
Hi Sam,
As far as we know and could find out, that is not true. We have even had the AAAA tell us that there has been no such change regarding cold air inductions.
I hope this helps.
Kind regards

Can anyone please advice who can confirm me this fact. I want to report the mechanic if he is wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Check as above. Get it on a dyno at highway speed and then check.
Get someone to rev it and try putting your hand in front of and under the head light. It could be whistling around the headlight.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
I would be finding a different mechanic if I were you.