Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS Inductions VS. DIY Alternative

jamo25

VPSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ls3
hey guy.. just wanting anyones opinion on what CAI to go with..
this is on a Alloytec V6 175kw, although some mods may apply to a number of different models cause of the same intake systems, or very similar.

just trying to figure out wether to spend $$$ on a Growler kit or do do it myself.. money doesnt matter too much.. just want the best gains in power/economy

dagar187

ls1nder
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ-SS
the ppl on here wuld probly say diy instead of the ss ind.got lots of tips from the ppl on here.diy-the way to go!

Last edited:

SICK SS

7L 427ci BABY
Reaction score
Members Ride
427 ci vu ss a4 ve ssv a6
has any checked out the cai in the sv6 might be a cheap opition like the mci for the ls seriers

Willz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turismo Sv6 with leather
Mate in my opinion go with a DIY cai

price wise its about $20 to get a mcai from holden

You do not need anything else as u can use ur standard lower airbox

v8 air box = alloytec air box

all you need is the front shroud which you need to trim at the bottom so as to clear the rad tank in front

img0399jl9.jpg

you can see on the very edge of the photo the shroud sealing around the headlight under the guard

img0400hm1.jpg

i did this trial fit first hand to see if it would fit before doing the two hole mod

hope this helps

jamo25

VPSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ls3
so all you need for this mod is the mcai (m in this standing for?) and whats this 2 hole mod?

has anyone actually seen the gains in these mods to be as good as the SS induction growler kit gains? in power and economy?

jamo25

VPSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ls3
after doin a bit more reading an searchin in the forums i found some interesting stuff about this cai, an also found out what the 'm' stands for ;)
would the HSV bottom box be better then the mcai ?

question still stands for the comparisson on the SS induction and this neat mod you guys have been talking about

cheers guys

Willz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turismo Sv6 with leather
If u can get ur hands on a HSV lower airbox from the 285 kw clubbies then go for it :thumbsup:

i know one place used to flog em off preety cheap like $50 but alas they ran outa stock preety quickly

ive never seen any before and after dyno results for the ss inductions growler kits so i cant help u there. only seen what they 'quote' you on there webby

havent had mine on a dyno yet either so cant help u with that one either :whistling

i noticed ur in perth so if u want a hand to fit the little bugger or just even have a look at what ive dont ive pmed u my msn so give me a buz