Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS Keyrings

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
at the moment its in the thinking stage.. due to having to cut it out of metal.. got the figure out how it can be done without the cut out moving around and ruining the conclusions of the cut.. once i clamp down the metal plate.. what can i use to stop the cut out moving when they are being cut

I do these kind of cutouts at work all the time, albeit from brass mostly, and thin aluminium...2-3mm max. What I do is, get a roll of 300mm wide application tape (the stuff used for vinyl graphics). Put a layer of this on the back of your sheet of material. Use a backing sheet for the bed of the machine (I usually just use 2mm acrylic or similar) and put a layer of the app tape on that also. Stick the 2 sheets together tape to tape with double sided tape, and clamp that on the bed of your machine. Should stay solid as a rock and not move around when cutting.

On a side note, I also do pewter casting and could possibly make some of these in an antique pewter if we can get a prototype to make a mold from.

VYHDT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY HDT
I do these kind of cutouts at work all the time, albeit from brass mostly, and thin aluminium...2-3mm max. What I do is, get a roll of 300mm wide application tape (the stuff used for vinyl graphics). Put a layer of this on the back of your sheet of material. Use a backing sheet for the bed of the machine (I usually just use 2mm acrylic or similar) and put a layer of the app tape on that also. Stick the 2 sheets together tape to tape with double sided tape, and clamp that on the bed of your machine. Should stay solid as a rock and not move around when cutting.

On a side note, I also do pewter casting and could possibly make some of these in an antique pewter if we can get a prototype to make a mold from.

cheers man might give that a go

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
umm i believe sv6's have finished.. but if i end up making more you will be first to know :)

Could you make me the second person to be notified please :) Would like to get one.

Cheers.