Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS Low Water

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
I have only had my SS for a few months..... never checked the water because i felt it would be ok, and it was checked when it was purchased. The other day my wife drove to work, as she does in it every day, a distance of about 30km When she was only a few hundred metres from work, she said the engine overtemp warning came up and she looked at the temp and it was on H :shutup: I stopped by when she finished work and topped the water up... it was down a little, but not a heap, and the tank was empty as well. All in all, i used about 2.5 litres of water to top the radiator up and fill the tank. Since then it has been fine, checked thewater the next day it was ok..... going to check it again today and see what is happening.
I'm guessing that over time, especially if it isn't checked there is a small losss of water? Surely it hasn't gone 3 years without being checked!! They get serviced every 15 thou....i am hoping that they DO check the water in it :bang:

Any thoughts?

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
I haven't seen the 'H' come up but have noticed I have had to put a bit of water in there, perhaps 500ML I guess so far.

To my horror though there is no colour to it so basically just water in there from what my eye's are telling me.

Only found this out the other week and changing it over today.

It was meant to be serviced prior to me getting but with the coolant well what is said to be coolant and the rear sway not being attached to the vehicle I am going to let rip when I get it looked at for warranty work.

Hunter SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
I haven't seen the 'H' come up but have noticed I have had to put a bit of water in there, perhaps 500ML I guess so far.

To my horror though there is no colour to it so basically just water in there from what my eye's are telling me.

Only found this out the other week and changing it over today.

It was meant to be serviced prior to me getting but with the coolant well what is said to be coolant and the rear sway not being attached to the vehicle I am going to let rip when I get it looked at for warranty work.

the water in mine was pink, so it still had inhibitor in it....... when it goes back in for a service i am going to get them to replace the coolant in it anyway. I am guessing it hasn't been replaced since new.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Coolant isnt changed until a 5 year period.

The heater hoses could be leaking. The clamps lose tension as they expand. Over a period of time this could cause sufficient coolant leakage.

The hoses are on the RH side of the block (LH as you look at it) and on the V8 are towards the front, and V6's towards the rear. If they're leaking, there will usually be crusty pinkness around the hoses. The fix to this is to fit replacement, worm drive clamps by Holden.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
It will be long-life coolant, but they are still supposed to check the level...

Dealers. They're ****ed.

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
I was worried about that too.

the other day I stopped the car, no high temp. or anything, but after I switched it off, I could hear the Radiator boiling !?

is that normal ?

Hunter SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
I was worried about that too.

the other day I stopped the car, no high temp. or anything, but after I switched it off, I could hear the Radiator boiling !?

is that normal ?

doesn't sound normal.... but maybe somebody else has an idea. I can't say i have ever heard that happen. It may have been your radiator recovery tank?

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
I have no idea what was it, but I thought maybe it's cuz of the hot weather it's around 50cd in here xD *so the A\C was on*

.................... and I was going a bit too fast ..

but still it shouldn't boil !