Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS spoiler repaint

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
The boot spoiler on my SS has the dreaded clearcoat bubble happening so I've decided to remove it and repaint it myself. What's the best way of removing the old clear and base colour completely? Is it a bead-blast job? I'd imagine paint stripper or sand blasting would be too aggressive for a plastic spoiler. Cheers.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I had mine done at a smash repairs

The just sanded it off, they did respray colour on mine as well though

There isn't a lot of colour under the clear coat, and sanding the clear coat off from the edges can cut all the way thru the paint as well

Good luck

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The boot spoiler on my SS has the dreaded clearcoat bubble happening so I've decided to remove it and repaint it myself. What's the best way of removing the old clear and base colour completely? Is it a bead-blast job? I'd imagine paint stripper or sand blasting would be too aggressive for a plastic spoiler. Cheers.
My SV6 (same colour as your sig) has the clear coat peeling off the spoiler as well. I’m going to get a body shop to repaint it. I was putting it off because I thought it would cost an arm and a leg but I just got my rear boot lid repaired on the SSV after I got a quote and it was only $650 bucks.

Haven’t got a quote on the SV6 spoiler yet but if a boot lid with a decent crease in it is only $650 bucks I wouldn’t think the spoiler would cost too much.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Yeah, it’s pretty reasonable cost wise to have a spoiler repainted usually, mine was unpainted/unprepped and it was only $180, that was 3 years ago.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I did consider just dropping it off to a paint shop. Trying to find one that handles non-insurance jobs can be challenging around here. I painted my HQ a few years back in Senator Quartz metallic so have (had?) the skills to tackle it and have all the gear. Just got to get the old crap paint off first!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Yeah I did consider just dropping it off to a paint shop. Trying to find one that handles non-insurance jobs can be challenging around here. I painted my HQ a few years back in Senator Quartz metallic so have (had?) the skills to tackle it and have all the gear. Just got to get the old crap paint off first!

don't go too hardcore on the removal unless it's really bad (as in damage not just paint) otherwise you will just make a ton of unnecessary work for yourself.

Reactions: Lex

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe a good sand and high fill primer might be the way to go.