Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS SSV OR SSV Redline

Kev4028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Ute
Hi there guys, i believe it's time for me to jump on a v8 after driving a v6 for years and id like to get one before christmas. So Ive saved up some cash around 12k and i own a 08 ve sv6 ute which I'll be selling soon as soon as i change the gearbox and the clutch on it and comparing car prices on carsales i think ill be getting at least 10k cash but I don't really know what should i get Its my first time buying a V8 for myself ill be getting a manual ute but before i do so id like to hear some advice regarding which model is the best, holds its value and doesn't have heaps of problems. (most i can spend is 22k) thanks

lowrider636

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SSV Redline Series 2
The Redline would be the one to get if your budget would allow .

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Get an SSV - Paying for brembos and forged wheels has a price - $1600. Otherwise there is no difference between the two SS-V.
Has to be Series II, aim for MY11+ ideally built after February. However some Series II are 10/2010+ and incorrectly tagged MY10 on the sales sheet, as such represent a saving but there are a few niggly things to address with the early releases.
Don't even think about Series I no matter what the km and colour.

Kev4028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Ute
Thank you so much for all the help definitely wont be getting anything lower than 2012 found few around with 80-100k for my budget cheers

convas

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SSV
Get an SSV - Paying for brembos and forged wheels has a price - $1600. Otherwise there is no difference between the two SS-V.
Has to be Series II, aim for MY11+ ideally built after February. However some Series II are 10/2010+ and incorrectly tagged MY10 on the sales sheet, as such represent a saving but there are a few niggly things to address with the early releases.
Don't even think about Series I no matter what the km and colour.
Whats wrong with the Series I ?

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Ditto ^^^
Would also like to know?

Ive been looking at trading to a Series I SSV as well.
I see series II's cost close to VE HSV, i prefer to get a HSV if I was parting with that $$

Last edited:

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
OK, in sum a lot of breakthrough technology was hit and miss, everything from major stuff ups like the ECU and its OS through to bad design / recall items like the a/c and its drive belt for example.
Engine was more a plain vanilla version of the LS2 and its e40 whereas the L77 is an L99 without variable valve timing installed. I could list myriad engine and drivetrain faults rectified with the Series II if you like, but suffice it to say the Series I is cheaper now for good reason. Series II are undervalued as a result of being tarred with same brush.
The main issues to compare are fuel consumption, oil consumption, power output, minimum time between failures, NVH, and interchangability / spares through GM Global.
Series II has notably better ECU, BCM and sub modules including fuel supply and HVAC, and it has one of the best headunits which still holds its own six years later.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
OK,..........

Do these apply to the HSV Series 1.. The cheapest I see around (Which still aint that cheap in NZ lol) are the 2006/2007 model's

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Do these apply to the HSV Series 1.. The cheapest I see around (Which still aint that cheap in NZ lol) are the 2006/2007 model's

Yep I'm not gonna make friends discussing why any Commodore is below par on an enthusiast's forum, but mate the first E Series HSV were mind-blowing like nothing else when they were released, in the U.K. (VXR) and Middle East (CSV) good examples of the E1 model are an investment, realising way more than purchase price. More so would be the case if HSV were released in US where the closest thing is the up-spec G8 GXP which is a hot collector's item.
But for savvy Kiwis (oxymoron?) and here there are several factors at play which belie the fact that it is part of the first production run of the Zeta platform, with lots of new systems and a transitional engine design that, whilst highly lauded for being used in the Corvette, doesn't compare to the plain vanilla Holden L76 with bolt-ons. Technically the LS2 as per E1 is the first of the GenIV but with half the features, namely L92 rectangle ports, 58x reluctor (timing) and the e38 ECU.
So yeah, there's a reason they are cheap here and in NZ where we got the later improved E2 & E3 (and facelift F1 & supercharged F2) but worth noting above that overseas markets put these cars in the highly collectible class.
The e40 ECU is rare, primitive, and comparatively unsupported with aftermarket software, the cathedral heads are old school, and parts are ridiculously expensive and rare. Great value but terrible investment in markets which saw later versions. Performance-wise the LS2 was OK matched to the previous model HSV, but there's more up front than the 10 extra killer wasps of the Mylar boot badge per later models which help this two tonne Tess to really make the grade vs Hot Holden.

Last edited:

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
I was mainly asking about the symptons you wrote about SS-V VE1. Do they still apply to the E1 HSV.

"breakthrough technology was hit and miss, everything from major stuff ups like the ECU and its OS through to bad design / recall items like the a/c and its drive belt for example."
"I could list myriad engine and drivetrain faults rectified with the Series II if you like"
"The main issues to compare are fuel consumption, oil consumption, power output, minimum time between failures, NVH, and interchangability / spares through GM Global."

I would assume they do,since they were made around the same time, but just thought I ask since they did come with the LS2 :)