Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS ute prices VE era?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Free market economy in action.
That and Tasmania Car Tax. Our car tax adds close to 20% compared to mainland prices, on certain vehicles......

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The name of the game is patience......If you want to pay cash and you're not desperate, waiting till you have the cash in hand, you can then walk into where ever you like, budget in mind, offer upto that price...If they don't like it, walk away and find somewhere that will play your game...

I have quite often gone with relatives when they are looking to buy a car....I offer a particular price (generally under their cash on hand price)...When the seller says they don't budge, or they want more that what I have on hand I pull a wad of cash out of my pocket in a plastic bank coin bag and say see ya....Looks like you don't need to sell it quickly anyways....It's surprising how their eyes buldge out of their head :)

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Cash IS king! A ploy that I have used in the past which sometimes worked very well is to have a mate with you when viewing the vehicle and give him a portion of your cash to hold. If you can then physically count most of your cash into the seller's hands you can gain a psychological advantage - most people will usually automatically form a reluctance to give it back. "But It's not enough" so you turn to your mate and ask "How much have you got on you?" and you and your mate quickly negotiate your 'borrowing' half of it, adding that to what is in the seller's hands. Still no go? 'Borrow' the rest of your money from your mate, so the seller is now holding the full cash amount you are willing to pay for his car. If he still says no, hold out your hand, say "Last chance" and make the seller give you all your money back. Watch his/her face as he/she does. Congratulations, you have just become a torturer.

Admittedly, it is years since and we're talking private sales of vehicles under $10,000 back then and I would always have checked the vehicle & paperwork and the address before flashing any cash. The younger the seller the better it worked in my experience. Sometimes didn't even have to "borrow" from my mate at all. Don't think it would be likely to stand up against a dealer, if they are any good they have seen it all before.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The name of the game is patience......If you want to pay cash and you're not desperate, waiting till you have the cash in hand, you can then walk into where ever you like, budget in mind, offer upto that price...If they don't like it, walk away and find somewhere that will play your game...

I have quite often gone with relatives when they are looking to buy a car....I offer a particular price (generally under their cash on hand price)...When the seller says they don't budge, or they want more that what I have on hand I pull a wad of cash out of my pocket in a plastic bank coin bag and say see ya....Looks like you don't need to sell it quickly anyways....It's surprising how their eyes buldge out of their head :)
Yeah patience is wearing thin though. Sick of catching the bus full of school kids. Have been catching the 6.45 bus to avoid annoying young people but that means getting less sleep. Plus I've been working long hours at work and having to catch the late bus home which makes a normally 9hr day into a 12hr day.
Have to wonder if the prices are still going up or whether they will come down. Wondering if I just have to get a small loan but reluctant to do that.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
That and Tasmania Car Tax. Our car tax adds close to 20% compared to mainland prices, on certain vehicles......

Time head to Melbourne to grab a bargain. And a free hanger-on maybe!

Seriously though, at 20% difference, worth keeping an eye on Vic stock?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Time head to Melbourne to grab a bargain. And a free hanger-on maybe!

Seriously though, at 20% difference, worth keeping an eye on Vic stock?
There would be more to choose from for sure. Plus I'd be more likely to find an auto. Autos are extremely scarce in Tas.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I just don't know how I would get on, because obviously a stealer is not going to be able to put Vic rego in my name. And I don't know if permits are allowed on the ferry? I know I need a Tas permit to get it from the dock to home.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah patience is wearing thin though. Sick of catching the bus full of school kids. Have been catching the 6.45 bus to avoid annoying young people but that means getting less sleep. Plus I've been working long hours at work and having to catch the late bus home which makes a normally 9hr day into a 12hr day.
Have to wonder if the prices are still going up or whether they will come down. Wondering if I just have to get a small loan but reluctant to do that.

It's an unfortunate situation to be in....I have no doubt they will go down but when is anyones guess....

Perhaps buy a cheap run around to get you out the poo for a while, while you wait for prices to drop and you have the cash available...