Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS ute prices VE era?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Money is as cheap as it gets at the moment.

Fkn finance it !

Hahaha, haven't seen Ruthless People for many decades.... and loved that scene :p

Back then, the character Ken (Judge Reinhold) had a conscience and didn’t sell the dominator MX to the young couple... Real life car dealers of the period wouldn’t have behave in a such a manner and pushed one to “fkn finance it“ :( but have they developed a conscience over the last 40 years?

At least current interest rates are low unlike the late ‘80 at around 18% :eek: so it could be a strategy to finance it if one thinks prices will continue to go up or to be maintained over the next year or so...

If one can stretch the (fixed rate?) home loan a bit, that would make the financing even cheaper (if you knuckle down and pay that portion off quickly), just don’t go on a crazy shopping spree :eek::p

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Money is as cheap as it gets at the moment.
Its not so much about the cost of finance, it's about debt levels. Having a very large mortgage in another 6 weeks, once the house is finished, I'm not keen on going any further in debt. That's the reason I have said to the wife no credit cards, interest frees, or afterpay loans. I see daily or at least weekly what can happen when people with large debts lose their employment. No job is 100% secure.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Its not so much about the cost of finance, it's about debt levels. Having a very large mortgage in another 6 weeks, once the house is finished, I'm not keen on going any further in debt. That's the reason I have said to the wife no credit cards, interest frees, or afterpay loans. I see daily or at least weekly what can happen when people with large debts lose their employment. No job is 100% secure.

Understand....it still has to be affordable to the individual, and affordable at rates far higher than the current rates.

e.g. when I established my current Home Loan 6 years ago, I worked my calcs on an I/R of 8% and have been paying as if they are 8% from day 1.

Gives me good tax free return, builds savings and a buffer for when rates do rise.

The balancing act in this scenario is 2 - 3% interest on say $13k compared to ever increasing prices at a far greater % on the full price of the vehicle.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
And this is the $1m question, will prices fall or will they keep going up? And are current vehicles at stupidly high prices going to eventually sell because prices are not dropping or will dealers and private sellers drop the price after they have sat on a vehicle for 2-3 months?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just found a 2011 SSV ute for $29,888 it's been taken off the market, so likely sold. But it does look like a 2011 can be bought for the same price as a Series 1 if you wait. I will keep waiting. Tax is coming back soon and there will be at least another $1000 in my pocket by late July, plus whatever I can save between now and then. 2011 looked to have more features than Series 1 2009 which is still sitting at $30k. Goes to show just how overpriced the one 3hrs away in Hobart is.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
FWIW, I didn't like the grey instruments in the Series 1.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
And this is the $1m question, will prices fall or will they keep going up? And are current vehicles at stupidly high prices going to eventually sell because prices are not dropping or will dealers and private sellers drop the price after they have sat on a vehicle for 2-3 months?

Guaranteed, if a dealer or private seller have a car after 2 or 3 months, without dropping the price too much, they certainly will especially dealers....Dealers want stock moving, not sitting idle collecting dust...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Still on the look out. I have nearly $15k but finding a VE V8 ute is really hard now. There are only three in the state $30k or under. And the sellers are asking 30k for Series 1 VE, which is just ludicrous. Wondering now if I should have fixed the VR?