Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS ute prices VE era?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hey losh, you appear to have acknowledged that something decent and newer will cost upwards of the 20 grand mark and seem willing to accept higher kilometers in order to offset some of that cost. Buying local on your island would also make life easier wouldn't it, but yup, the prices are high in Tasmania. Here's a link for all ads for VE & VF V8 utes on carsales Tasmania for you to favourite (you can also save the search if you Join carsales & Sign In). Includes dealers and private sales. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/?q=(And.Service.carsales._.(C.Make.Holden._.(C.Model.Ute._.(Or.Series.VE._.Series.VE+Series+II._.Series.VF._.Series.VF+Series+II.)))_.State.Tasmania._.Year.range(2006..2017)._.Cylinders.8.)&sort=~Price

View attachment 221982

What are your thoughts on that rather rare 2001 'S' badged VU in Hobart for $20K that I posted about in your old ute thread? One owner, LS1, 6spd manual, 167,682 km, always parked under cover, owners manual documents and service history . Thought about having a look at it? Aren't you moving back closer to civilisation or do you still need a daily hack that can handle corrugated gravel roads, can take a few stone chips and have the corners nocked about? https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-holden-ute-s-vu-manual/SSE-AD-7178012/ I would be giving that one a good sniff losh, in your shoes. Can't hurt to look and I have a hunch that, like many private sellers, he might find a cash offer of 15%-10% less than his asking price too hard to refuse. Cash is king.

View attachment 221983
View attachment 221984
I like it but feel a VE is on the better side because it will have newer tech as far as brakes, suspension etc go.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Called up about the red VE it looks good, but it is over 2hrs away.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Been driving around found a few SS utes. Most are overpriced, at around $35k. It would seem they are not quite as rare as I was lead to believe. Although, car yards salesmen are saying they are rare. So far none have really tried to sell me a car, which I have found on the mainland they try a lot harder. Seems in Launceston they must not have to even try and persuade you to buy it either that or they are just hopeless.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
common ute prices stay higher cause less made, not really rare, just less numbers made due to most people and tradies buying other models like the toyota dualcab which has been the best seller for probably last 10 years.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Keep a check on auction sites too. Grays and Pickles. We did the bidding on ours in peak hour traffic.

Also, it’s not just Covid driving up prices. It’s a global shortage of computer chips. This is preventing new car production from occurring at the rates they want. The two events have almost coincided.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
bhdw37y0ivdr2qpzz9qu3aiin.jpg

How much work would be to fix the holes in the hard cover once that ridiculous spoiler is removed?
bhdw37y0ivdr2qpzz9qu3aiin.jpg
Would it be cheaper to get the factory tonneau fitted?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Quickest and cheapest option would be rubber grommets.

Otherwise fill with fibre glass and paint.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I was thinking blank grommets. I really need a tonneau anyway, unless the hard cover is fairly painless to slip off and on again once a fortnight.
Sort of trying to gauge what I have to work with if I say to them remove the ugly thing, and put in four grommets and not worry about paint. That would surely be the cheapest option. If it's a fair cost then that might bring the price down if I opt for grommets.
I'm comfortable at $25k drive away with just grommets but I have to pay Tas tax, which only applies to cars sold here....., so will need to spruke a little more I suspect.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd say that spoiler is a defect anyway? I saw a bloke on Highway Patrol get pinched for having one on his sedan.