Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS ute prices VE era?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hi anyone know what a reasonable price is to pay for a 150-200k SS ute in really good condition? I see some people seem to think they are worth $40k - $50k and other are priced at $30k. They are few and far between in my local searching, so may need to look in car yards but I want a figure price because some yards are obviously thinking Covid tax is a reasonable thing to apply. Not decided 100% about buying one as I hate getting finance, but it may be that or catch the bus for another 12 months. At least if I know what they are really worth I can start looking a little harder.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Looking on car sales there a few listed for under $25,000 with the mileage you are looking for. Your problem is as you are well aware is logistics. Having said that a friend of mine was looking at transporting a crewman from Victoria to Brisbane. The cost would have been $800. Against that he would have been buying it trusting the sellers word that it was in good order.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That's the stupid thing how can some be worth $59k? Surely they are not selling for that?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I want to try and look locally and now I have a price guide. I'm thinking somewhere around $25-$28k, is a reasonable price for a late V8 ute in good condition. These people asking $40k plus are dreaming and are likely to just be throwing out the hook hoping for a bite.
I just have to think about if I want to go down the finance line.
I saw a nice 2007 6.0 Caprice for around $12k with about 200k on the clock, that was tempting....

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Dont forget utes have a "ute tax" for being a ute.
V8s seem to have a v8 tax and manuals also appear to have that too.
Its basically the one segment thats always been crazy in comparison to say their counterparts that are wagons and sedans.

Don't forget extra running costs when you do buy one, of you do that is.

I always got told to avoid finance on stuff unless you need it (or its out of paying in cash, like a house). Therefore it may be wise to look at something thats just practical and in your price range to get you by. Not necessarily a holden, could be anything.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I really need a ute but borrowing 15-16 grand to get one I don't feel great about. I don't like the idea of paying interest on a deprecating asset.
Funny how you mention manual, I want an auto but they seem to be far more rare than a manual?

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I have owned two vs and a vy ss ute prior to owning a ve ss. The ve is streets ahead of the others and certainly worth upgrading to.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Yeah I really need a ute but borrowing 15-16 grand to get one I don't feel great about. I don't like the idea of paying interest on a deprecating asset.
Funny how you mention manual, I want an auto but they seem to be far more rare than a manual?

due to no more being made Aussie utes are going to appreciate in value I would guess more than sedans.

if you just want a work hack grab a Hilux or something.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
if you just want a work hack grab a Hilux or something.
Hilux are way overpriced, especially in Tas, a bodgy one fetches $8k plus.