Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS ute prices VE era?

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Personally, I'd also recommend taking out a BF XR8 as well. You get a lot more car for your money and in many ways, its better.

I personally don't like the look of the Holden VE/VF utes.

But seriously, the 5.4 260 boss motor is a great engine, the manual gearbox is heaps better in my opinion. The shape is far superior

I don't think I've ever heard anyone -including motoring journos of the day, but excluding die-hard Ford guys- ever say the current Falcon ute was better than the current Commodore ute around the era we're talking.

They were routinely criticised for poor driving position, average interiors, lazy V8s and that cab/tray gap. The VE-VF also had superior performance and handling to the BF Falcon. So I'm curious in what "many" ways do you believe they are better?

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I already listed what I think is better and what is worse and I guess it comes down to what you perceive to be the most important characteristic.

5.4 boss engine is a great engine, importantly, my friend picked up a second hand one for less than 2k whereas a LS3 will make you cry a little when you try and find a second handed for much less than 10k. My BF GTP had over 310k on it although it didn't have much left on it and I was abusive to it.

Transmission/Manual, I've driven a lot now and might be a little biased as mine is a pig but I have driven multiple fords as well and much prefer the shifts. The auto transmission on the fords is ******* **** though, ford auto transmissions have always been ******* **** from EL's all the way to the end.

Value for Money - You can buy a whole lot more Ford for your money as they aren't as popular, personally, I've never given a **** what people think. GT's which will hold their value are cheap as atm and haven't seem to have been affected by the covid tax as much.

Interior, they are both aged now but the VE easily wins but this can be basically put back to even by putting in a decent alpine system which is basically as good as new cars today obviously without all the other stuff.

Exterior is where I think the BF shines, that shape is priceless imo. Again, biased because I had a BF GTP but I still think that it probably the best looking car that Australia has ever made. I find the FG ford's ugly as **** personally. Maybe I'm just getting old and prefer older looking cars but I do love the corvettes so yeah. I've owned EL GT, VT Clubsport, BF GT and now the VE Clubsport and the VE clubsport is easily my favourite but I think it's not a really fair comparison as the BF was an auto and was boring.

Fuel economy - From what I understand, Boss motors are more efficient and obviously aren't the older pushrod style and doesn't have the AFM issues that some of the LS's have.

Fair enough, each to their own. I do agree you get a lot of Ford for the money, mainly because they're cheaper. For a good reason in my view. I've owned quite a few Falcons and they always felt lazy and looked half-baked compared to the same Commodore of the era, which is odd considering they're both made at the same price point. EF was a high point for Falcon but then VS was a sharper car than EL. Ford's played catch-up ever since.

I think Holden just somehow managed to injected some passion into Commodore which clearly won more buyers.

Also, you're correct about the transmissions -the ZF 6-speed in particular was always the better trans. Not sure about Ford fuel economy but I personally get fantastic economy with my 6.0, so an older valvetrain doesn't seem to affect that.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
So many different types of cars out there, not too mention, how many have you actually taken the time out to give a good drive too. I always recommend to go to Auto alley and test drive 5 different types of cars and tease the dealers with a possible sale while identifying what car you want and then go back to carsales/gumtree and start hunting in earnest for the type of car you enjoyed driving the most at the dealers.
You miss the point. It's not what I like or you like it's about what Losh wants. He has made it quite clear he wants a ve ss ute. Had he wanted anything else he would have mentioned it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Had he wanted anything else he would have mentioned it.
True but there isn’t anything inherently wrong in mentioning alternatives so long as the thread doesn’t diverg into a Ford vs Holden shitshow ah, endless comparison...

Should @losh1971 seemed interested in such ute alternatives, and responds in kind, then the discussion can and will diverge into the typical Holden vs. Ford :p