Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS ute prices VE era?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Thread title is pretty specific, SS ute prices-VE, VF era.....
Surely after 7 pages the question has been answered...

So a little movement away from the "how long is a bit of string" and the equally subjective "what is reasonable condition" questions ain't that bad :p

And just in case that question hasn't been answered, a reasonable price is one that the buyer is willing to pay and the seller is willing to take... anything different and you'll never get a sale. What's reasonable from a single parties perspective is aftyer all irrelevant and is just academic...

Post sale, if there is any buyers or seller remorse, the deed has been done so there is no point in looking back. Such is like crying or laughing over split milk :eek:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
They are just giving him advice, nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I'd also recommend taking out a BF XR8 as well. You get a lot more car for your money and in many ways, its better.

I personally don't like the look of the Holden VE/VF utes. Big fan of the holden ute that he already owns, love the shape. What happened to that ute btw?

But seriously, the 5.4 260 boss motor is a great engine, the manual gearbox is heaps better in my opinion. The shape is far superior, I'd prefer the holden interior though but I'd seriously recommend spending a G and getting a Pioneer smart phone display put in either of them. The big thing that I think the holden has though is the auditory happiness that the LS has with the right exhaust.

[/URL]

Someone was selling a BF Super Pursuit with 30k worth of work done to it with 40km on it for 35k only a couple of months ago, kicking myself for not fllying up to cairns to buy it.

I have driven both the boss V8 and the turbo 6's with this bran My personal opinion is the turbo 6 rather than the 8....And yes it is my personal opinion and is upto Losh to make his decision what suits his requirements :)

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If I can suck it up and catch the bus for another six-nine months, I might be pretty close to walking into a car yard and paying cash.

It's a case of whether you can hack doing that :)

You may be lucky enough the used car market prices might come down in that time frame too....But that's using a crystal ball and we all know how reliable those things are :D

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I know the barra is an amazing donk and is an Australian masterpiece but I haven't heard one sound anywhere near as good as a LS or a Boss

It's not all about the sounds...To me having the turbo 6 makes them handle a lot better because they don't have a big lump hanging over the front wheels....

Of course there are other issues I could go on with to do with the Ford brand, however seeing as though Losh seems to want a Holden, I'll leave it there as it'd be pointless

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
It's not all about the sounds...To me having the turbo 6 makes them handle a lot better because they don't have a big lump hanging over the front wheels....

Both the Barra and the Ford OHC V8s are very tall engines which doesn't help centre of gravity. And both actually weigh more than an LS, which is quite compact and light for its capacity.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Both the Barra and the Ford OHC V8s are very tall engines which doesn't help centre of gravity. And both actually weigh more than an LS, which is quite compact and light for its capacity.
LS1 is supposedly 460lbs (208kg) while L98 is 600lbs (270kgs) [1]
Meanshile the iron block barra turbo with all its bits supposedly weights in at 235kgs [2]

Not a huge difference really... And one would probably get bigger weight loss improvements by putting the driver on a diet :p

[1] https://suicideslabs.com/dw/library/txt/engfyi.htm
[2] http://www.fordmods.com/ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/engine-weight-with-ancillarys-t82786.html

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
LS1 is supposedly 460lbs (208kg) while L98 is 600lbs (270kgs) [1]
Meanshile the iron block barra turbo with all its bits supposedly weights in at 235kgs [2]

Not a huge difference really... And one would probably get bigger weight loss improvements by putting the driver on a diet :p

[1] https://suicideslabs.com/dw/library/txt/engfyi.htm
[2] http://www.fordmods.com/ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/engine-weight-with-ancillarys-t82786.html

Yeah I just Googled LS and got the 208kg which is quite surprising.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

I vaguely remember way back when they were first released, the turbo Barra equipped Falcon was quicker in the twisty stuff when compared to the V8 powered equivilant.....In a straight line, the V8 was quicker when it got to the higher speeds....The turbo 6 got it off the mark and in the lower speed range...This was due to weight difference

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
I vaguely remember way back when they were first released, the turbo Barra equipped Falcon was quicker in the twisty stuff when compared to the V8 powered equivilant.....In a straight line, the V8 was quicker when it got to the higher speeds....The turbo 6 got it off the mark and in the lower speed range...This was due to weight difference
Then you pop some (relatively) cheap bolt-ons to the Barra turbo and you've got some insane hp.

On a side note, you can get an FG turbo for decent prices compared to the VE/VF v8 utes... although you are missing that exhaust note!

In the OP's case, you can still consider interstate if the price is right and you've got a gambling side to you. I picked my old SS up from interstate.