Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS ute prices VE era?

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I vaguely remember way back when they were first released, the turbo Barra equipped Falcon was quicker in the twisty stuff when compared to the V8 powered equivilant.....In a straight line, the V8 was quicker when it got to the higher speeds....The turbo 6 got it off the mark and in the lower speed range...This was due to weight difference

The Barra builds torque much earlier and the Ford V8s were lazy in their power delivery, that's why they were quicker.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I have found a couple of VE utes, one locally. Only issue is it's a manual. Like to gauge peeps thought on the manual? Is the clutch fairly solid on the VE, what I mean is, is it a bastard to push in? Last floor shift manual Holden I remember trying was a Torana with Aussie four speed and that thing gave your left leg a work out every time you pushed the clutch in. I'm only considering a manual because autos are a lot less common than manuals. I have only seen one auto VE ute in the whole State over the last 10 days, but a reasonable number of manuals. Also is driving a modern manual like the old days where you are forever changing gears?
Just trying to gauge whether I am going to regret getting a manual if I was to buy one?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
So I have found a couple of VE utes, one locally. Only issue is it's a manual. Like to gauge peeps thought on the manual? Is the clutch fairly solid on the VE, what I mean is, is it a bastard to push in? Last floor shift manual Holden I remember trying was a Torana with Aussie four speed and that thing gave your left leg a work out every time you pushed the clutch in. I'm only considering a manual because autos are a lot less common than manuals. I have only seen one auto VE ute in the whole State over the last 10 days, but a reasonable number of manuals. Also is driving a modern manual like the old days where you are forever changing gears?
Just trying to gauge whether I am going to regret getting a manual if I was to buy one?

Love driving my manual.

Clutch is not heavy. Nothing like the HD cable clutch in my old 5 litre M21 VK.

Torque means minimal shifting, especially in heavy traffic. Take off in 2nd and maybe use 3rd.

Best thing is to drive some manuals and see if they work for you.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The clutch is fine on VE's.
The factory shifter leaves a lot to be desired though.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I’ve got a bung shoulder and knees so I own and drive autos. But I do miss not having a manual...

Still, last time I drove a manual VE V8, the clutch and forward gear changes were absolutely fine... There was no issue until I needed reverse gear. Due to the shoulder and a bloody stiff detent spring within the gearbox, at least from my perspective, it made it difficult getting the damn thing into reverse.

Obviously YMMV so take one for a drive... and check it out yourself...

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Go drive it= doesn't mean you need to buy it.
Modern manuals are nothing like the old school stuff = unless they are seriously modded.
Clutch is very lite , gear change is no where super slick on these but you have heaps of torque !
Can still be lite on the throttle and easily stay in 4th around town and get good fuel economy.

In other words just go test drive one = you'll love the convenience, comfort and go = you won't know yourself.
Yes = probably = definitely less character = ( some say that's technology) than the vr but as a daily driver performance ute === you certainly won't know yourself !!!

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have preferred autos for as a long as I can remember. The only reason I am considering a manual is because autos are too hard to find and are more expensive.
If I was on the track it would be manual all the way. I do love dropping down a gear or two and nailing it on Symmonds but I have a bike for fun. My daily I really want driving to be easier, and if it can be helped by not having to change gears that would be my ideal.