Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS ute prices VE era?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Tell them that you buy and sell cars as a hobby.

Drop a stupidly low price on the red ute and hand him your phone number and tell him to call if you want to sell that ute at that price to give you a call....
People can be spitefull pricks at times and car sales people and estate agents even more so...

Wouldn't surprise me that they just sell it at a lower price than your low offer and simply ignore you.

That’s what one estate agent did with an offer I made... he didn’t even take my offer to the owner and two weeks later sold it for close to $10k less than what I was offering... unbelievable :mad:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Tell them that you buy and sell cars as a hobby.

Drop a stupidly low price on the red ute and hand him your phone number and tell him to call if you want to sell that ute at that price to give you a call.

Then get your mate to ring them up and give them a price even lower than yours a couple of days later. Might take a month or two but in the end, they will want it off their lot and could call you and you get a cracker of a deal because no one else could be bothered to take off the ugly red spoiler. You might even be able to sell the monstrosity of a spoiler once you take it off.

With it being on the market still, try and strike a deal, using the fact it's been for sale for so long....This I buy and sell as a hobby means squat....The leave phone number stuff just means it'll fill his waste paper basket quicker...If the place doesn't want to play ball, move on to the next place....

This get a mate to ring with a price is a load of it...Anyone that wants to buy a car will look at it in person, test drive it and throw a number out there after all that...If you don't, you're either a time waster or an idiot with more money than cents....Sales people will know this too, unless they are really stupid....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd like to check the red ute out but it's three hours away.
It won't sell at that price so I have plenty of time I suspect.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I have been checking RB valuations on 2008 & 2009 VE ute's and I might have a problem that I won't be able to insure it for what the cost will be. It would seem that max insurance agreed value on a 2008 will be under $20k and 2009 maybe $20k. I can not see any dealer shaving a third of what they are asking. How can you get around that? It seems silly to pay $25K or more for something that can only be agreed at $20k, as you could drive up the road get T-boned and instantly wipe out $5k-$8k, depending on what you can get the price down to. Realistically I think a 2008 VE ute should only cost $20k at the most even with low km.
How does someone who borrows the full amount to buy one, yet can not insure it enough in the first year to pay out the loan? I can't see the finance Co even approving the loan?

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I agree with what you say about Redbook evaluations. However most insurance Co's will only go a small % over the Redbook valuation, hence why I could struggle to currently insure a 2008 ute for even $20k. I have dealt with insurance Co's for many years and each time I asked for more than agreed,, which is pretty much every time they will come back with RB says...... So we can only go....... over that price.

I will try and stick it out as long as I can catching the bus. I'm not keen on spending $3k on a cheapy that will no doubt cost a fair bit more than that in repairs while I save for something decent.

Reactions: Lex

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So I have been checking RB valuations on 2008 & 2009 VE ute's and I might have a problem that I won't be able to insure it for what the cost will be. It would seem that max insurance agreed value on a 2008 will be under $20k and 2009 maybe $20k. I can not see any dealer shaving a third of what they are asking. How can you get around that? It seems silly to pay $25K or more for something that can only be agreed at $20k, as you could drive up the road get T-boned and instantly wipe out $5k-$8k, depending on what you can get the price down to. Realistically I think a 2008 VE ute should only cost $20k at the most even with low km.
How does someone who borrows the full amount to buy one, yet can not insure it enough in the first year to pay out the loan? I can't see the finance Co even approving the loan?

About the only way around it is, private....And yes the problem with private is, a concrete warranty....Unfortunately car yards like to bump the prices up to cover any potential warranty issues, along with other costs involved in running a business....So you are really stuck between a rock and a hard place and it is upto you to decide which is the better option for you

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
When you have a market value policy, the insurance company can’t get around the fact dealers are asking $X which is much higher than the RB estimated value..

So if they don’t like your price research which justifies the higher market payout figure you want when making the claim, ask them to find a vehicle in similar condition and mileage to yours. If you as a reasonable person consider the car they’ve found as acceptable, the insurance company can thus buy that vehicle to settle the claim. So, if the cars are as cheap and plentiful as the company thinks, then it should be a no brainer for them but at that point they’ll sigh and simply write you a cheque based on your price research.

As I’ve said before, you can bang your head with an insurance company with setting an acceptable agreed value now or do the same if an claim event occurs in future...

Last edited: