Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS ute prices VE era?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Make sure you check the differences between series 1 and series 2 as there are quite a few improvements.

I think some sellers have priced their series 1 the same as series 2, and your check of RB confirms this to be the case.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Make sure you check the differences between series 1 and series 2 as there are quite a few improvements.

I think some sellers have priced their series 1 the same as series 2, and your check of RB confirms this to be the case.
I've noticed that.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
So I have been checking RB valuations on 2008 & 2009 VE ute's and I might have a problem that I won't be able to insure it for what the cost will be. It would seem that max insurance agreed value on a 2008 will be under $20k and 2009 maybe $20k. I can not see any dealer shaving a third of what they are asking. How can you get around that? It seems silly to pay $25K or more for something that can only be agreed at $20k, as you could drive up the road get T-boned and instantly wipe out $5k-$8k, depending on what you can get the price down to. Realistically I think a 2008 VE ute should only cost $20k at the most even with low km.
How does someone who borrows the full amount to buy one, yet can not insure it enough in the first year to pay out the loan? I can't see the finance Co even approving the loan?

I'm renewing my insurance right now, and you're right, most insurance companies won't get close to the "market" value of my car, let alone what I paid for it pre-Covid.

Enthusiast seems my likely choice, you can basically put any agreed value in their calculator and get a quote. Then its just the gambling choice of premium vs money if the worst happens.

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
I'm renewing my insurance right now, and you're right, most insurance companies won't get close to the "market" value of my car, let alone what I paid for it pre-Covid.

Enthusiast seems my likely choice, you can basically put any agreed value in their calculator and get a quote. Then its just the gambling choice of premium vs money if the worst happens.
I insured my SS for the same price I bought it for. One year later they took 10 grand off the price. I didn't know a 2013 SSV was worth 15k. If I knew that I could've grabbed a bargain.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I insured my SS for the same price I bought it for. One year later they took 10 grand off the price. I didn't know a 2013 SSV was worth 15k. If I knew that I could've grabbed a bargain.

yeah watch em, i had to remind my insurer that their valuations are completely off.

they had the Monaro at 11 and the Redline at 20.

The biggest concern is when there's a writeoff.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I was watching a 2008 VE SSV and the bloke was playing funny buggers with the price he dropped his price from $27k to $23k at one point, then it went back up $27k, then down to $25k. And while it was advertised at $25k it sold or has been taken down for over a week.

Another 2007 sold or has been taken down. There was another one advertised at $23k, but was not as nice as the more expensive one, and was only an SS with leather seats, not SSV, it too sold.

Now the cheapest one is around $26k and is at a dealer that is well known for not budging on price and it too is just an SS I think. Plus it's been lowered, which is not good for me. The red one in the link above, is still sitting on $30k and I first enquired about it over a month ago I think.

It makes me angry that these SH stealers are all asking stupid prices, simply because there are so few for sale. Even private blokes are asking way too much for basic SS'. One bloke has one that is not in top condition and he wants $25k, and ad says not budging on price.

It makes me now wonder if I should have borrowed $13k-$14k and used my savings to buy the silver SSV that was at one point $23k.

I'm just astounded that people have enough money in the bank that they are paying these high prices, simply because SS ute's are in short supply. It's like the crims on ePrey and Gumtree that give you no choice but to overpay when you want a part for your VR or VS, because they know if I don't pay, there will be some other sucker who is willing to cough up way too much.

Looking like I will be on the bus a while yet, and I'm basically half way to getting that red SSV, if I was willing to pay his exorbitant asking price, which I'm not.....

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Free market economy in action.