Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS-V Headunit AUX sound quality?

kyle_sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF2 SSV
Hi Guys,

Currently own a Holden VE SV6 with the standard headunit, when I first got it I installed new speakers and amp, I first used the AUX to my Ipod then soon noticed the sound quality is crap! So I've burnt the same MP3 on a CD and sounds like gold compared to the AUX.

I've been considering getting a a SS-V headunit installed with Ipod\Iphone intergration which would be around the $2,500 figure .. I believe the outputs on the SS-V HU are also AUX.

My question has anyone compared the AUX quality on the SS-V headunit compared to the built in CD player and\or noticed a sound quality difference between standard and SS-V HU's playing through AUX

Comments and thoughts would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
In my SSV the volume is less when I plug my iPod into the AUX, but the quality is the same.

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
I use the aux for my ipod, I basically turn the volume all the way up on the ipod then control the difference with the hu, but if u haven't done it disconnect the center speaker!!!! Quality does improve.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
center speaker? i will have to try that out!~ if disconnecting the speaker improves qaulity? do you guys mean CLARITY?
like less sound coming out on same volume for ipod on aux vs cd player

will note seen alot of dodgy cables floating around out there on my mates cars mainly!~ that fixed there problems...

also check that the ipod isnt set to a setting like you know mix level? umm forgot the word... like concert, techno, rock etc

DynoVE

DVSVE
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
in the centre of your dash is a mesh-like grill, inside is a small crappy speaker, which pretty much distorts the **** out of music and makes it sound terrible when turned up. first mod (if you may call it that lol) was removing the centre speaker and throwing it against a wall :D

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I had amp / speakers / sub installed in my SV6 last week, sounds awesome now even off stock HU. I have to turn the volume up more for music from my MP3 player than i do from CD's, but the sound quality is still great, bearing in mind that mp3 is a compressed format and won't give you the same sound quality that the WAV format on a CD will.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
$2500 sounds like a lot for HU upgrade, wouldn't it work out cheaper buying Calais V V6 or a SSV considering the price after discounting $2500 and not to mention all the extra equipment you'd be getting?
Just a thought.

TumTum

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 Ute, 2001 VXII Berlina Sed
Hi Kyle_SV6,

For some unexplained reason, I've found the rear AUX inputs to give better sound than the front 3.5mm headphone jack - that's on both the SV6 standard HU, the SS-V style unit I replaced my SV6 HU with and the Berlina HU. If I was you, I'd try getting the plug-n-play rear AUX in kit (available from fleabay and other places - Google is your friend) before I went the whole hog and replaced the HU. I find the rear AUX input with an iPod sounds clear as.

By the way, if you're using the headphone socket on your iPod to feed your HU... don't. It's preferable to use the line level output through a dock connector cable (often sold with a cigarette lighter power plug etc). The headphone output is noisier in terms of equalisers etc whereas the line level output on the dock connector bypasses some internal circuit paths (volume, EQ etc) and gives a better sound at a more appropriate level for the input on your HU.

PS. If you look on fleabay, you can get a HU from a Pontiac G8 for *much* less than you think. It will happily convert to your car like one from a Calais or SS-V (still needs to be flashed to work on your VIN with your HVAC). The only minor issue with a G8 unit is the volume/menu labels are back to front and the Nav key is labelled as a power button. Minor like I said and I've learned to live with it quite happily in my SV6 - PM if you need more info.

kyle_sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF2 SSV
I use the aux for my ipod, I basically turn the volume all the way up on the ipod then control the difference with the hu, but if u haven't done it disconnect the center speaker!!!! Quality does improve.

haha yeh that was the first thing I did before I even upgraded my speakers

I had amp / speakers / sub installed in my SV6 last week, sounds awesome now even off stock HU. I have to turn the volume up more for music from my MP3 player than i do from CD's, but the sound quality is still great, bearing in mind that mp3 is a compressed format and won't give you the same sound quality that the WAV format on a CD will.

When I listen to the ipod through the front aux at a moderate volume it sounds great, but once I put volume load with some bass it sounds fairly distorted. Bare in mind that the same MP3 file has been burnt to a CD .. So technically the quality should be the same, Through CD sounds great!

$2500 sounds like a lot for HU upgrade, wouldn't it work out cheaper buying Calais V V6 or a SSV considering the price after discounting $2500 and not to mention all the extra equipment you'd be getting?
Just a thought.

$2,500 is defiantly a lot for a headunit upgrade, no doubt about it, unfortunately I'm really keen to get Ipod integration with control from the steering wheel and been able to change between playlists and see song title, this only works with the SS-V HU unfortunately .. I actually got a pretty good deal for my SV6 and I took a fair big leap from a VX S on gas to a VE SV6 so was fairly hard to justify 5k+ for a higher model.

Hi Kyle_SV6,

For some unexplained reason, I've found the rear AUX inputs to give better sound than the front 3.5mm headphone jack - that's on both the SV6 standard HU, the SS-V style unit I replaced my SV6 HU with and the Berlina HU. If I was you, I'd try getting the plug-n-play rear AUX in kit (available from fleabay and other places - Google is your friend) before I went the whole hog and replaced the HU. I find the rear AUX input with an iPod sounds clear as.

By the way, if you're using the headphone socket on your iPod to feed your HU... don't. It's preferable to use the line level output through a dock connector cable (often sold with a cigarette lighter power plug etc). The headphone output is noisier in terms of equalisers etc whereas the line level output on the dock connector bypasses some internal circuit paths (volume, EQ etc) and gives a better sound at a more appropriate level for the input on your HU.

PS. If you look on fleabay, you can get a HU from a Pontiac G8 for *much* less than you think. It will happily convert to your car like one from a Calais or SS-V (still needs to be flashed to work on your VIN with your HVAC). The only minor issue with a G8 unit is the volume/menu labels are back to front and the Nav key is labelled as a power button. Minor like I said and I've learned to live with it quite happily in my SV6 - PM if you need more info.

Hi TumTum,

Very interesting point with the rear AUX, will have to check that out, I actually do use the headphone jack on the Ipod which I currently get interference when its plugged into the charger.. thought it may have been a dodgy car charger.

You may have solved two of my problems!

How much would I be looking at for the Pontiac G8 HU plus programming? The one I’m looking at is $2000 installed, programmed w/ VIM + $500 for Ipod integration

You may have solved two of my problems!

Thanks heaps for the response everyone!