Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS-V Redline Ute - A few questions from a first time Holden owner

d1mebag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Ute
Hey guys,

First time poster and first time Holden owner here. I'll be taking delivery of a manual SS-V Redline Ute (in Voodoo) on 1st of April, so a few tough months to wait..

Just wondering anything I should look (and feel for while driving) for when I take delivery, to make sure everythings how it should be.

Also wondering what the stock stereo is like (can't find too much info as to what is actually installed in regards to speakers/amp etc) - it's the one thing I haven't had a decent play with while test driving. So if there are any Redline owners here could you let me know what you think of it?

Unsure as to when I'll be modding it, but if anyone could recommend parts & brands if I were to throw $5k at it initially?

Thanks for your comments

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997

Last edited:

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
id be more worried about cosmetic stuff than mechanical, because at least the later is covered by warranty.

dont pick up car when its been raining, or if the car has just been washed and is still wet. too hard to see paint imperfections.
thouroughly check outside (all exterior panels and rims as well for gutter rash), and look for marks/scratches on interior (seats, door trim, dash, glovebox, etc).

Sean880 makes valid points, but always put more effort into cosmetic stuff.... because once you drive out the driveway it's your problem.

And if at all possible, take a 2nd set of eyes with you (friend or family member) to look at the whole thing with no emotion.

Don't let the salesman rush you or pressure you into signing off on the car until you are 100% satisfied.

Also look for imperfections from manufacture... carpet not joined up properly, panels or parts not lined up or not closing right, rattles and squeaks (in reading the warranty book these are NOT covered by warranty, and are really up to dealer discretion), so make sure no rattles or loose bits that make noise when driving around. Do doors close nicely? Is the steering wheel lined up straight? Does anything rattle? All things that are easy to fix, but can be very annoying to a new owner.

DEFINITELY take car for test drive with salesman prior to signing off. No radio, no air con, no talking. Just listen. If radio crackles or aircon doesnt work later, this can be fixed. A screw loose and rattling around in the dash is much more time consuming problem.

Mechanical issues can be covered after delivery, but cosmetic and noises are much harder to get sorted afterwards.

d1mebag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Ute
Cheers guys, very much appreciated.

alfonz454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSII MALOO UTE
Check the rims

Mate I have had mine for a couple of months now and it's the s$#t. The only probs I have had so far, and ongoing are with the rims. I only noticed after the first time I washed it, that they had small swirl scratch marks all round the rim and on all four rims.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Mate I have had mine for a couple of months now and it's the s$#t. The only probs I have had so far, and ongoing are with the rims. I only noticed after the first time I washed it, that they had small swirl scratch marks all round the rim and on all four rims.

Those swirls will have been induced by transportation. One other thing you'll notice is that after around 5 washes, the fillers in the wax they use will have washed out and you'll start to notice quite a lot of spider webbing and swirl marks over the whole car (and probably some water marks in the glass) - either put there by the guys who built it, or by the poor kid who they have 'detailing' the cars pre delivery who can't use a buffer. ALL new cars end up like this. Paint swirls seem to be a dealer-added feature.

SSV Redline

You Ride I Ride
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SSV Redline Sportwagon
Now that whole swirl in the paint thing after 5 o rso washes total sucks. I am buying a 2010 demo model so I'm hoping with some pemium paint protection and a warrnty on premium paint protection I can avoid the disappointment of having paint swirl.

Before picking up your new squeak n far get the dealer to set up the IQ system to your exact needs. There is a bunch of preferred settings you can select from and the dealer knows how to make sure they are programed in and saved correctly. There is also a bunch of stuff you dont know about that needs to be set as well. It might take a little time but they are making 8 to 10 grand on a newie so an hour or two setting it up is nothing.

Ww are male, we dont do instruction books as a rule, so let the dealer do the work and enjoy the ride home. Congrats man

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Now that whole swirl in the paint thing after 5 o rso washes total sucks. I am buying a 2010 demo model so I'm hoping with some pemium paint protection and a warrnty on premium paint protection I can avoid the disappointment of having paint swirl.

Before picking up your new squeak n far get the dealer to set up the IQ system to your exact needs. There is a bunch of preferred settings you can select from and the dealer knows how to make sure they are programed in and saved correctly. There is also a bunch of stuff you dont know about that needs to be set as well. It might take a little time but they are making 8 to 10 grand on a newie so an hour or two setting it up is nothing.

Ww are male, we dont do instruction books as a rule, so let the dealer do the work and enjoy the ride home. Congrats man

With paint protection, just make sure you pick the car up on the brightest day possible - full sun is ideal. You need to look for the reflection of the sun in each panel - you'll be able to see any swirls or spider webbing scrolling outwards from the reflection. They SHOULD have given it a full correction before applying the paint protection (not going into my personal opinion on that stuff!) - if you can see any swirls, don't take the car - have them correct it because it is a massive pain in the arse to remove that stuff once it's on. 90% of people who order the paint protection don't check the condition of the paint when they pick the car up - they just assume it will be right with the paint protection. 'Cost effectiveness' dictates that if they can get away with just throwing the stuff on the car without correcting, they will.

breno85

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Redline Ute
Hi, Congrats you'll love the Redline, I got mine in Black end of last year, overall very happy with it, apart from the water leak it got which filled up the floor behind the seats, got that fixed and they replaced the carpet, indoing so scratched half the interior so then had to get that fixed, which has been done now an I'm very happy with it, just been abit of a stuff around.
Any way apart from that issue it rocks, Stereo is pretty impressive for standard, subs in the B pillars, runs really well connected to the ipod.
If your thinking mods I can recommend the Walky gear, I got the super sport headers fitted along with the power pack also the short shifter and got them to lower it (about an inch or so), She really moves, I have driven them with out the power pack both autos and manuals and you really notice the extra torque, also it sounds awesome! and its legal, and the shorty is glorioust!
Power pack with lowering and shorty you could get for around 5k, I had holden organise it and I still keep all my factory warranty, She's a real ball tearer!
Enjoy!

SSV Redline

You Ride I Ride
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SSV Redline Sportwagon
thanks for the advice bren085. Have ordered but not paid for a KPM system through Paul at Elite. Will ring Walky and compare before parting with any cash. I am assuming your got a nice note, no droning and better economy too? Dont need a short shifter as we have an auto so might save a few bucks there as well. Thats a plus plus. I read a post that suggested they re-badge a cheap n nasty exhaust system. Obviously that post was wrong?

just logged onto a yankee forum dedicated to station wagon owners. I never knew just how ugly american station wagons are. No form, just function and that function is: "make sure you can fit grandma, six kids and a donkey in the back. So glad holden builds the VE sportwagon in Oz, otherwise we were destined to buy a Vito. Nothing wrong wioth that but they aint no sportwagon.