Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS-V Subs

vzlumina

01/05 VZ Lumina AKW-989
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
MY9.5 SS-V, '99 CR125
OK guys,

First up, I appologise if this information has been asked before but I've spent the better part of my day off looking for my answer and just getting confused by what I read. 2 questions:

1) Can I just swap out my subs with any old 8inch sub and just plug the new ones in or is it harder then that?

2) What are the actual specifications of the factory amp ?

As you have probably guessed I just want some crisp non-distorting bass from my sound system without spending $$$$$$$$ and I don't know what I can actually do with those subs.

Cheers

Jimbov8

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman 6L
Hey Mate from info I've sourced the amp is only i think 40w 2 channel and sub's are free air paper cone 50w 2ohm. I would suggest getting a loc put a new amp and a box in the boot with a 10 or 12 inch sub or 2. Basically the factory amp is crap as are the subs. You could try turn the gain up on the amp a little to get slightly better bass from them from memory it's on the top of the amp (behind the battery) in the boot. wont make it much better but.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Reverse the wires on the existing subs and crank up the existing amp - you wont believe the difference and wont have to spend a single dollar.

vzlumina

01/05 VZ Lumina AKW-989
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
MY9.5 SS-V, '99 CR125
Reverse the wires on the existing subs and crank up the existing amp - you wont believe the difference and wont have to spend a single dollar.

Already done this mate, and was blown away, I have speakers (fusions) that I am going to replace door and tweeters with and I just thought I might do the the subs as well, because everthing sounds a bit loose/raddily when I try to get any serious noise out of the system.

Jimbov8

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman 6L

What wire's do you reverse? Do you just swap positive to negative etc on each sub?

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Yep that's all you do. 2 mins with a soldering iron.

Jimbov8

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman 6L
Cheers Might try that to as i'm also stuck with the standard sub's at the moment aswell

DOOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 5.0L
Whats the idea behind swapping the wires? I have turned up the amp in the boot (the knob is actually on the bottom) and this made it better. How does the wire swapping help?

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
From what I understand, it causes the subs to work in reverse and effectively direct the sound down into the boot, not up at the back window where is it currently cancelled out by the frequency of the other speakers.

I have noticed since doing this that even with the music volume not very loud, you can hear it from outside the car through the doors, although you can not hear the bass very much with it (from outside)