Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS VZ steering wheel problem After swap

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
I had to change my old steering wheel on MY 05 VZ SS due to it been worn so I tracked another one From A VZ SS thunder only difference i found were the stereo controls wires so swapped everything over
The old steering wheel came off easily without any problems but when i put the new one on and tighten up the bolt it was very heavy and creaks and growns on turns
What I found is i can tighten up the steering wheel until there is a few thou play in it otherwise its heavy and puts to much pressure on the clock spring
Ive tried to move the shaft out a by few mm just case its slightly colapsed but no luck
Any Ideas to whats going on ?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Cannot be real sure but if when you tighten it down it exerts pressure on the clock spring and when moves creaks and groans it might be that 'the boss' may be an incorrect size and NOT compatible with your vehicle.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
Found the problem VY steering wheels dont fit VZ without some serious grinding to clear the clock spring

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Any chance you could post up some pictures of where you had to modify the VY wheel and any other difference you may have noticed between the two of them. If you had any pics I'm sure they would be helpful to myself and other members in the future.
I want to eventually upgrade the skinny arse leather steering wheel in my VZ 1 Tonner to the thicker VZ style one.
From searching the forum I found out the VY wheel isn't a direct swap to the VZ, but when searching for a replacement everyone selling them pretty much lists the steering wheels as "Fits VY/VZ"

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Found the problem VY steering wheels dont fit VZ without some serious grinding to clear the clock spring

WTF ! Was not aware of that !
I swapped my VZ Crewman skinny leather wheel for a secondhand SS/Monaro wheel that was marked "VY/VZ" . Fitted no problems. Maybe I was lucky.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
VY SS Steering that uses VT-VY clock spring which not inchangable with VZ as it uses a different voltage for readings

Attachments

• vy steering wheel.PNG
    vy steering wheel.PNG
    272.6 KB · Views: 213

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
VZ SS steering that uses VZ only clock spring

Attachments

• vz steering wheel.PNG
    vz steering wheel.PNG
    204.1 KB · Views: 196

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
VY SS Steering that uses VT-VY clock spring which not inchangable with VZ as it uses a different voltage for readings

VZ SS steering that uses VZ only clock spring

Thanks vsl67. You're a legend for posting up the pics mate.
At least now I know the difference just by looking at them as I wasn't 100% sure before.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
It seems to be one of the best kept secrets like when VE owners get there brake pads back to front because there inner and outer but no one hardly ever talks about it

Zoe91x

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Wagon
Just wondering if you have any photos of where exactly needs to be filed down?