Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSSL,SSL,SL and L what are the difference?

sus_calais

SIR 355
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
hey everyone i was just wondering if you guys could clear something up for me...when u are all saying SSSL are u reffering to ultra lows and SSL super lows etc or something different?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
My impression was

L - Lows - About the same as FE2 - 35mm
SL - Super Lows - 2 inches or about 50mm - Has my car sitting just on legal
SSL - Ultra lows - 3 inches (or something) - makes a car too low at the front and about right at the back

These are King Spring brands, I'm not 100% sure on the exact heights of the lowering, but I'm pretty sure mine are roughly correct

vt_on_20s

vt gone ve s2 ss ute now!
Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss s2 ute
just put sl (super) on front and ssl (ultra) on the rear and car will be sweet!

ssl are ultra low
sssl are ultra low aswell but there is two heights (thats what the kingspring shop told me)

sus_calais

SIR 355
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
thanks guys! i was actually thinking of putting ultralows in on the back but will i have to change anything else besides the springs if i go that low? i want the guard sitting a bit over half way down the rubber on 17 inch wheels...anyone know what springs i need?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Yeah that sounds like Ultra lows to me. But there are other factors or items.

Ultra's at the back and supers at the front will have you sitting on just legal ride height, but your springs will settle in and get your car will get lower. So it may hover under the legal limit.

You won't maintain 2/3 of suspension travel, so if you had a bored/****ed off at you/bad hair dayed highway patrol officer, bend over.

It would be a good idea to change the shockers if you went that low at the rear. You would wear out your existing ones very fast and going over a railway track/speed bump too fast could lead to your springs falling out. Hell they could even fall out if your mechanic puts it up on a hoist.

sus_calais

SIR 355
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
so i will have to change the shockers to then? or will it just be a bit dangerous if i dont? my mate has superlows in his car and when u jack it up the spring is free but he has had no problems..

sus_calais

SIR 355
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
hey vt_on_20s do u no the height difference between the two ultra lows at all?

sus_calais

SIR 355
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
does anyone no if pedders do a spring equivilant to the kingsprings ultralows?

vt_on_20s

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss s2 ute
hey vt_on_20s do u no the height difference between the two ultra lows at all?

i dont know the heights of them but i do know that one set (the bigger) sit the gaurd to hub size is 300mm and the other is like 290mm. not too sure though but give the kingspring warehouse a call there in penrith the number is:4721 2112. they know all there specs... if they dont have what your after best bet is to buy some ultra lows and pay extra $120 to get them compressed at lovvels in paramatta but not sure where you live and how "legal" you want your car...

vt_on_20s

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss s2 ute
so i will have to change the shockers to then? or will it just be a bit dangerous if i dont? my mate has superlows in his car and when u jack it up the spring is free but he has had no problems..

its really your choice, the front springs cant fall out cause they are trapped by the way they are setup. the rears can fall out if your going off road a lot haha or something like that, but keeping stock shocks are fine, they actually keep the ride more smooth like stock suspention but due to the large travel you could be scrubbing alot on your guards if its really low..
but that can be stopped by wearing a bit of the inner guard off.

Final comment: i have ultra low springs in the rear of my vt and they have been compressed another 60mm (2 and a bit inches) lower again. my shocks are standard but in good condition, AND my springs have never fallen out OR have i had any problems in the year and a bit ive been driving at this height. but its up to you as there is that chance but if you wanna chuck the springs in and see how it goes and if its not how you like you can always get some aftermarket shocks at a later date.

as for other things you will need:
the keys to your car
and a camera (to take photos of your sexy low car haha)

pm me if you need more info