Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV 6.0l VE Cranking Slowly

Lensman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi. My 2006 SSV cranks slowly. It always starts but I'm worried one day it wont. I've had the battery tested and the battery guy tells me the battery is good and "those V8 Commodores all crank slowly", but I asked a mate who has the same vehicle and he tells me his cranks fine.

So I'm thinking I need a new starter motor? Is it a simple job? Motor is stock, no extractors.

Thanks in advance.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Voltage drop from battery to Starter Motor !! Have you checked it with Multimeter ?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Checked that your alternator is putting out enough charge? Or that the battery you do have has enough cold cranking amps?

Lensman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Checked that your alternator is putting out enough charge? Or that the battery you do have has enough cold cranking amps?
Hi R_J_K. and thanks. Battery has been tested by battery shop and looks to be as big as can fit in the space provided. The battery outputs 12.1 volts which might be a bit low - should be 12.6 I think. But I've jumped it from a running large 4WD and it made no difference to the cranking speed.

So I'm guessing slow cranking is not typical for this vehicle?