Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ssv burning smell

ssavage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 9.5
I was wondering if any one could help me with my ssv

Ive got a really strong smell of burning plastic coming from my engine bay. The smell is so strong i cant have the aircon on anymore

at first i thought it might be the aircon compressor but the smell is still there with aircon off.

Its booked in on wednesday at claridge holden but is my car safe to drive untill then?

Cheers

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
As mentioned, plastic bags can be a bugger to get off when melted onto a Cat or exhaust... When using your A/C you should put the airflow to recirculate not flow though. The A/C will accentuate smells especially fuel. If it is one recirculate you shouldn't get any outside smells coming through.

Also pull the turtle shell cover off the engine and check for melting wires etc. Also look at the underneath of the cover for any evidence of melting plastic or foam. Maybe try driving it around with it off and see if the smell is still there.

Check under the bonnet while the engine is running for signs of smoke.

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
And you can also help with the aircon by putting it in pollution mode. To do that, hold down the recirculate button until you see POLLUTION MODE ON. Takes a few seconds. To torn pollution mode off, repeat the proecess.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
nothing on an SV6. Doesn't exist on mine either. It switches the AC to recycle when your road speed is under 15km/h (from memory) - so you're not filling the car up with fumes in traffic, but get fresh air when possible. It's a feature only included with climate control.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
And you can also help with the aircon by putting it in pollution mode. To do that, hold down the recirculate button until you see POLLUTION MODE ON. Takes a few seconds. To torn pollution mode off, repeat the proecess.

That's one I have not heard of before. Then again I tend to not read the manual... :)

ssavage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 9.5
Tnks for the suggestions people.

I finsh work in half n hour so will check it all out then and keep ya posted

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
The pollution mode is very handy when youre following a stinky ol puffin black diesel. Thats when i use it most.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Or you could just push the recirc button....