Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV Exhaust and engine bay advice needed

disorganise

Reaction score
Members Ride
F2 GTS 2015
I realise the exhaust question has been asked a few times so I apologise in advance, but I never see mention of legalities so here goes.

I'd like my SSV to sound like a V8 from the moment it starts up, rather than having to get the boot into it at 3000rpm or so for it to sound half decent. It isn't quite the 70's muscle car I dreamt of as a kid!

After looking at Google, I quite liked the idea of xforce Varex - but then I noticed the disclaimer about being engineered for race and off-road use only.

So...can anyone recommend an exhaust that gives nice sound without droning (especially on highway - I do Sydney/Melbourne fairly often and couldn't stand an annoying drone for 10 hours), that is completely legal in all ways? My worry for legal is that I wouldn't want an insurer to have any opportunity to reneg should the worst ever happen.

I'm not too fussed about power increases (be nice, but I don't want to double my insurance premium either), just the sound. I don't really understand the difference between cat back and whatever either so if someone could enlighten me? Would I get the Holden dealer to install the exhaust? If not, where (I'm in Sydney)?

What would cold air induction do too? or is that a performance only thing? I know we used to take air filters off 80's cars in the UK to make a better noise so not sure if CAI is something similar?

And the second part of my question relates to cosmetics only. As I mentioned, I grew up in the UK and V8's were pretty rare. But what I remember from the various concours shows etc, was chromed rocker covers and braided pipes that made the engine bay look a million dollars. The biggest disappointment of owning my first V8 is that the engine hides underneath a dumb plastic cover :(
So...is there anywhere I could get the engine 'dressed' and would it make any difference to warranties etc?
This link is a bit OTT, but it gives an idea of what I mean: 1969 Chevy Caprice Chrome Engine Bay Photo
Is that a lost art with modern V8s due to the elimination of carburetors?

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
I realise the exhaust question has been asked a few times so I apologise in advance, but I never see mention of legalities so here goes.

I'd like my SSV to sound like a V8 from the moment it starts up, rather than having to get the boot into it at 3000rpm or so for it to sound half decent. It isn't quite the 70's muscle car I dreamt of as a kid!

After looking at Google, I quite liked the idea of xforce Varex - but then I noticed the disclaimer about being engineered for race and off-road use only.

So...can anyone recommend an exhaust that gives nice sound without droning (especially on highway - I do Sydney/Melbourne fairly often and couldn't stand an annoying drone for 10 hours), that is completely legal in all ways? My worry for legal is that I wouldn't want an insurer to have any opportunity to reneg should the worst ever happen.

I'm not too fussed about power increases (be nice, but I don't want to double my insurance premium either), just the sound. I don't really understand the difference between cat back and whatever either so if someone could enlighten me? Would I get the Holden dealer to install the exhaust? If not, where (I'm in Sydney)?

What would cold air induction do too? or is that a performance only thing? I know we used to take air filters off 80's cars in the UK to make a better noise so not sure if CAI is something similar?

And the second part of my question relates to cosmetics only. As I mentioned, I grew up in the UK and V8's were pretty rare. But what I remember from the various concours shows etc, was chromed rocker covers and braided pipes that made the engine bay look a million dollars. The biggest disappointment of owning my first V8 is that the engine hides underneath a dumb plastic cover :(
So...is there anywhere I could get the engine 'dressed' and would it make any difference to warranties etc?
This link is a bit OTT, but it gives an idea of what I mean: 1969 Chevy Caprice Chrome Engine Bay Photo
Is that a lost art with modern V8s due to the elimination of carburetors?

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Hey mate, I can really only help you with the first part of the questions. Not really about the cosmetic side of things because that is entirely up to you.

You very right about the VE's not sounding like a muscle car, thats because they were built to conform with sound emissions legislation which means they cant too loud, but also built to a market where not every buyer wants a loud car.

There are essentially 3 things you can change on the VE exhaust.
- Headers/Extractors = Flow better out the manifold and gain power as well a a small note change

- Catalytic Convertor = Installing a high flow cat will make the engine produce more power through removing some back pressure, although the exhaust note will sound less meaty.

- Cat back = This is the most popular and will make the biggest difference. The catback is the exhaust pipe section that covers from the back flange of the catalytic convertor to the tips at the end of the car. It includes the mufflers etc. The VE has a standard 2.25" exhaust which is out flowed by the engine quite easily. Suggestively installing a larger exhaust should not only give a better note (due to the mufflers) but also improve torque and power.
Many SS/HSV's are getting around with twin 3" exhausts, likewise with twin 2.5". Deciding what you want is rally up to you. Some people love the 3", but take it from me, they do drone a little down low in traffic. Being on a country cruise you wont even know its there though. If you do alot of city driving maybe go the 2.5" twin. Especially if you dont care about the power change.

Insurance might only go up a hundred or so, im not sure about your insurer.

Cold Air Induction - cold air is more dense than warm air, meaning more fuel can stick to it. MORE AIR + MORE FUEL = BIGGER BANG!
Not only that, but todays CAI's are very efficient in delivering air from the front of the car directly into the throttle. These are called OTR or Over the Radiator Air Intake. They make a nice sound and will have the car sounding meaty in to time.
To complement this mod, a tune will be suggested as moving the MAF sensor could be dangerous for the car. A mafless tune will deliver better throttle response and slightly better power than a MAF tune.

I hope i have helped

KARMA 6L

mmmmmm 6.0L
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SS Manual
Thought I would tack on to this post rather than start another Exhaust thread. Thanks for posting this advice classifi3d.

I'm also the proud owner of a new VE SS 6spd and I love her to bits but the exhaust is the only dissapointing part for me. Certainly sounds good when you dump your foot in 2nd, but being a manual I really want a bit more crackle and pop when I'm off the accelerator and she winds down.

I'm thinking the cat back is probably the way to go but wanted to know also whether any of this voids your warranty??

I've also had the chip replaced in previous V6 commy's, can anyone tell me if it is worth doing with the L98?

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
The exhaust change will void the warranty, to what extent i dont know. It may void it completely or just the exhaust. who knows?

The cat back will be enough to make it crackle, but just go the full system, (extractors, cats and catback), it will sound heaps better and will also give it more go.

In relation to the "chip" the commodores made after the series 1 VT did not come with the chip (memcal) they came with flash programmable memory so they need to be plugged into a computer to be programmed. Generally when done in "real time" on the dyno, i would expect around 250kwkw, possible more. I dont know how much loss to expect through the driveline. Of course the figures will change depending on what mods the engine has.

redvess

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I'm thinking the cat back is probably the way to go but wanted to know also whether any of this voids your warranty??

this is taken from the holden website

Can I modify my car and if so, what will happen to my warranty?
Genuine Holden Parts and Accessories and HSVi Enhancements are specifically designed and manufactured to integrate completely with the operation and appearance of your new Holden. Holden's Design and Engineering teams are constantly involved with the development and approval of every Genuine Holden Accessory and HSVi Enhancement. For more information please visit Genuine Holden Accessories and HSVi Enhancements.

Only Genuine Holden Parts and Accessories and HSVi Enhancements are comprehensively tested by Holden Engineers.

Given this, Holden does not recommend modifying your vehicle from its as built nature using non-Holden approved parts and accessories. Your vehicles integrity, performance and safety may be impaired by modifications using non-Holden approved components. Should you proceed with modifications, your New Vehicle Warranty will not be voided. However, should a problem occur which is attributed to the modifications made, any repairs will not be covered by Holden's New Vehicle Warranty.

so you can modify stuff just that the new part wont be covered and if it directly causes a problem they wont cover the repair

the only full system that I know of thats 100% leagal is made by HM headers the full system, headers, cats and cat back comes in under the leagal 90db and the cats are euro 3 spec I have the cat back on my car but I have different headers and cats cos I wanted more power over the short tube headers they use at the expence of leagality, it has an awsemoe note nice and deep for a 2.5 inch system

Rangdan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 Acclaim
What do the manta cat backs sound like on the new Ve ss?

disorganise

Reaction score
Members Ride
F2 GTS 2015
There are essentially 3 things you can change on the VE exhaust.
- Headers/Extractors = Flow better out the manifold and gain power as well a a small note change

- Catalytic Convertor = Installing a high flow cat will make the engine produce more power through removing some back pressure, although the exhaust note will sound less meaty.

- Cat back = This is the most popular and will make the biggest difference. ...

....To complement this mod, a tune will be suggested as moving the MAF sensor could be dangerous for the car. A mafless tune will deliver better throttle response and slightly better power than a MAF tune.

Thanks very much for the response - my Internet's been playing up so sorry for delayed response.

So it sounds like the cat back will be both the cheapest option, and the most effective regards note change, though full system will give extra power. Is it feasible to do a cat back now, then add in headers and cats along with CAI later (like in a year or so)? Or would that be pointless?

Regarding legalities, redvess post implies that its the volume of noise that is important. Are cat back mods more likely to be ok, or are they equally prone to being illegal? Does an exchaust mod affect the emissions at all, or would that only apply if you change the cats?

has anyone got experience of the HMHeaders system that redvess mentions? I've flicked them an e-mail for more info given they're Melbourne-based and I'm Sydney-based.

And back to the CAI - Classifi3d Calais, what is the MAF sensor? and the difference between a MAF tune and a MAFless tune?

thanks

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
mate if your in sydney give castle hill exhaust a ring there your one stop shop Dale or Dave will sort you out with a full CHE exhaust system and otr with a custome mafless tune.

or if you just want a crackle in the exhaust for cheap just change the rear mufflers al the others are already straight through.

redvess

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Is it feasible to do a cat back now, then add in headers and cats along with CAI later (like in a year or so)? Or would that be pointless?

Regarding legalities, redvess post implies that its the volume of noise that is important. Are cat back mods more likely to be ok, or are they equally prone to being illegal? Does an exchaust mod affect the emissions at all, or would that only apply if you change the cats?

you can deffinatly just do a cat back now and then do the rest later thats how I did it I started with the CAI then after a while added the cat back then the headers and cats all depends on your finances and how much you want to mod it really

deppends on what type of cat back you get if it'll be legal or not most 2.5" ones should be but I'm not sure about 3" and the emissions will only be affected if you change cats

here's a vid of my car with just the HM Headers cat back exhaust