Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV Muffler Delete

InnerWestie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SSV
Hi guys,
Long time reader, first time poster as I did not really have anything to contribute until now. I have a stock as a rock manual Vf ss v except some dark tint. Like most of you I am looking at options to get the v8 to actually sound like a v8. I have taken some people's advice and will pop into north shore performance mufflers and see Gary as it's within walking distance to my house.

I have seen quite a few posts but no answers as to whether removing the rear mufflers will create drone, so I jumped under the car and took them off. YES THERE IS HEAPS OF DRONE. The car sounds fantastic but it is unbearable with absolutely no piping and caused a headache after 30 mins of driving. There is drone under any form of acceleration. It sounds normal in 5th cruising at 60 but as soon as the foot goes down, drone starts. My question to the experts here, does anyone know what sound difference it would make having either straight through or j-pipes installed over no muffler?
If anyone is interested, I can record and upload a video to YouTube to demonstrate how loud it is without rear mufflers.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Mate the best thing is to get almost any set of sporty rear mufflers you like (check out magnaflow silencers) and then simply cancel the drone with a calculated length of capped pipe. This is Helmholtz chamber is similar to the J-pipe things on ebay but actually does silence the sound as you would expect.
BTW I had x-force silencers and these capped pipes made up by Midas at Chatswood. Sounded like this:
[video=youtube_share;kUuJi3O85hQ]http://youtu.be/kUuJi3O85hQ[/video]

There's a lot of info and videos on here, good luck.

InnerWestie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SSV
That sounds awesome. So as I understand, we can go any form of muffler, with some capped pipes to stop the drone. Mate, thanks heaps for your reply. I'll go see Gary today and get some pricing.

SSVSE

Reaction score
Members Ride
my10 SSV SE L76
I have J-Pipes from Rapid Exhausts on mine with no mufflers and they work really well! ,no drone at all , almost stock quiet when cruising and a proper V8 sound when accelerating.

I can just hear when AFM kicks in but it is not at all obtrusive.
The rest of my exhaust is stock save for Hsv tri y headers.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
I removed the original rear mufflers and fitted Dynamax VT mufflers. Sounded better down low and the cabin was quieter. Was quiet up higher. I had my wife give it a bit of acceleration while I stood outside and listened. Sounded terrible. I was embarrassed. Better with the originals. At least it just sounded like a strangled jet with a hint of V8.
The mid muffler 2 in 2 out must have heaps of interference in it to help reduce performance. I cannot describe the sound, I have nothing to compare it to. I am away for work since we did that and don't have to listen to it. When I get back I will either, remove it and replace it with straight through pipes with an equalizer tube, or fit a Dynomax Ultra flo welded "X" muffler. Hear what happens then. Ultra Flo

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I removed the original rear mufflers..

If you are installing that x-pipe in a can, put it waay out back like after the tunnel brace (1.78m after end of primaries). That will effectively allow you 2.5" flanged after the cats, good length of straight stainless before hitting Ultra Flo right a the back, going on to VTs.
Then ofc the next step is investing $2700 in actual performance (not just sound):
Headers and cats, intake and tune.