Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ssv overheating

atomic1

Reaction score
Members Ride
ssv ute
Hi guys I have a ssv ute cammed with full 3 inch Otr and mafless just done 1600 kms since cam installed and whilst driving tonight had high temp warning come up and noticed the needle was fluctuating quite a bit any people's here had an issue like this or know of this happening before? Could it be the thermostat? The work was done by high torque so I imagine the work should be of top standard, any feedback appreciated

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Well, overheating could be a bunch of things... When the cam was installed, radiator had to have come out along with hoses and coolant. Have you checked the coolant levels to make sure that it is topped up? An air bubble flying around the coolant system could give false readings of high temperatures (the air is hotter than the water as it passes the water temp sensor).

Could be a stuck thermostat, but id be surprised if they used the old one when they did the cam (Horse Power Factory put a new thermostat on my car when i got a cam).

I'd be checking coolant levels, and also for leaking coolant. Get the car nice and hot, flog it around the block a few times to get the pressure up and any potential leaks expanded, then pop the bonnet and look!