Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ssv redline front end knock

M01ST

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VF SSV Redline, 02 VU SS Ute
Hey guys my 14 ssv redline has developed a front end knocking noise when going over bumps and the angle of the ground changes. It has ultra low King springs and standard shocks. Took it to a trustworthy mechanic that has been good to us for years. He inspected it all in front of my found no loose bolts or damaged bushes. He seems to think the spring has sagged to much over 6 months and the strut spring and spring plate all have movement between them due to the sagged springs. Anyone experienced this issue?

My options are fork out the 1000 odd bucks for front and rear shocks or go the full hog and get coilovers?

Thanks in advance.

bLackjackj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Hey guys my 14 ssv redline has developed a front end knocking noise when going over bumps and the angle of the ground changes. It has ultra low King springs and standard shocks. Took it to a trustworthy mechanic that has been good to us for years. He inspected it all in front of my found no loose bolts or damaged bushes. He seems to think the spring has sagged to much over 6 months and the strut spring and spring plate all have movement between them due to the sagged springs. Anyone experienced this issue?

My options are fork out the 1000 odd bucks for front and rear shocks or go the full hog and get coilovers?

Thanks in advance.

If I were you, I would just call up King Springs on 07 5539 6700 and have a chat to them. You never know, they may just be a friendly lot :)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I would say the strut top probably needs replacing. With stiffer springs they wear faster than normal. Is there a gap between the large disc under the top nut and the strut tower?

Even with a sagged spring, the weight of the car is still on that plate so regardless of whether the spring has sagged or not it won't make it knock. A sagged spring will only make the front sit a bit lower, it can't make the gap between the spring and spring plate any larger. If he checked it up in the air, of course it will have movement as a lowered spring has less tension on it when jacked up, but once on the ground, the load is the same as a standard height spring.

Maloo37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais, VF2 SSVR UTE

Thanks in advance.

Mate just go get full coilovers, your car will be better for it being lowered..... I had all my cars done at Malaga Springs and suspensions they are good guys do great work at fair prices

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I do the same coil overs as Malaga Springs use, H&R, they use them in the LeMans production series in Europe, very good product. I do them for $2700 plus fitting.

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
M01ST:2856783 said:

Thanks in advance.

Hmm. For the sagged spring diagnosis to be accurate, the springs would have to have sagged like 100 mm. Ridiculous, the car would look insanely low and hit the ground everywhere. Pretty sure you'd notice!! Kings have warranty against sagging. If you were to have the springs removed and measured I'd be surprised if the springs were found to be the issue. If so, call Kings, they've always been very good to deal with IME. I'd not be surprised however if during the disassembly the real cause was found to be either the top rubber mount sagged or the stock damper stuffed. Upgrading both of these should be considered either part of a correctly done lowering job or expect to replace after a couple of years if not done initially. In this event you options are fit polyelastomer top mounts, and or short shocks. Hope this helps and good luck. Look forward to hearing the outcome.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
ultra low springs with stock shocks would be one issue, strut tops also,

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
The VF Holden handbook states that all chassis bots and fasteners are tightened at the 60000km service from memory.
Has your car been tightened up all over? Some members report noises and such, and they were cured when the chassis points were torqued up to spec.