Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV Redline test drive

Paulvdb

Reaction score
Members Ride
xr6t
Hi guys
I test drove a CalaisV V6 last week and really enjoyed the car but was underwhelmed by the v6. I had expected that I'd probably prefer the V8 given I currently have a turbo 6. I test drove the redline today to verify that and found it an enjoyable drive but still a long way short of what I expected - and wanted to make sure that I hadn't found a dud car.
The v8 certainly was low on torque at low revs but great higher up - I'm pretty sure that's normal - but the auto in manual mode was fairly slow in changing gears, certainly slower than the zf in the xr6t. Is that normal?
The other thing that concerned me is that the road noise seemed loud in the redline - not v8 noise but more like it had a window open - is the redline noisier than the Calais? Is a Calais v8 quieter than the redline?

SMcC

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SSV Redline Sedan
Hi Paul.

I picked up my redline the other day.
Im not expert by any means and other members please comment, however the salesman told me that Holden concentrated on reducing external road noise on the VF, so not sure why the car you drove was load. Mine was not loud at all (for 1 day).
Regarding performance, I agree with you I found the standard redline to be rather sluggish during certain rev limits, especially lower down, which I expected to be the case anyway..
I took my car to get the Walkinshaw Power Pack which has transformed the car no end! Sure people have their opinions on WP and its only a slight gain in power (up to 10%), but it is the extra torque (especially lower down) and throttle response that has completely transformed the car.

Without driving the Calai myself, I would assume that the redline would have to be louder than the Calais, especially in your case as you drove the V6 Calais. However I think road noise should be very similar, as the shell of the vehicle is essentially the same with the same noise reducing features.

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Mate I think you will find you are hearing more noise because the engine is so quiet compared to other cars. It's almost like cruising in a jumbo jet driving the standard vf. Nothing a sports exhaust won't fix. Power wise I found on e85 mine has great power stock but mine is a manual. Also again nothing a tune won't fix. Comparing it to a Ford the technology in the car and gadgets is the winner.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Buy an LSA crate engine for $12,500 (the supercharged engine in the HSV GTS) and have that dropped into your redline with a set of extractors and full exhaust and then sell your L77 6 litre engine for between $5,000 and $6,000. Brilliant!

Or spend $6500 on an overpriced and underperforming for the outlay W310 pack from Walkinshaw.

I know what I'd be doing but each to their own.

GH05T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Buy an LSA crate engine for $12,500 (the supercharged engine in the HSV GTS) and have that dropped into your redline with a set of extractors and full exhaust and then sell your L77 6 litre engine for between $5,000 and $6,000. Brilliant!

Or spend $6500 on an overpriced and underperforming for the outlay W310 pack from Walkinshaw.

Yup.. thats all it will cost... not a cent more... nothing extra to do at all... :hmmm:

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon

You might have to carry around a spare drivetrain or two but it's all fun...

Paulvdb

Reaction score
Members Ride
xr6t
Mate I think you will find you are hearing more noise because the engine is so quiet compared to other cars. It's almost like cruising in a jumbo jet driving the standard vf. Nothing a sports exhaust won't fix. Power wise I found on e85 mine has great power stock but mine is a manual. Also again nothing a tune won't fix. Comparing it to a Ford the technology in the car and gadgets is the winner.

HI Trewman - the issue here was the huge difference between the Calais V6 I drove and the SSV Redline. It really sounded like there was a window open - even though I double checked that there wasn't. The skylight was also closed. I'm not sure if the Redline tyres are so much noisier but that's all I could think. I'll need to drive another car to see if it's just a one-off. It could even be a misaligned door.
Re power - I'm sure that a walkie kit would fix responsiveness but shouldn't be needed for this sort of cash. I get the feeling that the redline is just a Calais with better suspension/tyres/brakes, which is fine, but I'd hoped to have something that responded better. I had been reading that the 6L80 was as good as a ZF and yet they seem to be very different in manual mode. Diff ratio could also be an issue.
The technology and gadgets are huge winners - just concerned that driving feel may be a backwards step. The XR6T motor and ZF box are a very good combo. That said I want a wagon and no-one makes an affordable powerful wagon anymore except Holden and Chrysler (and the 300 isn't my style)

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
Holden claim they did a lot or work in noise insulation in the VF but I also fail to see where a lot of this work went. My FG was far quieter in the cabin than the VF. But the Bridgestones from the factory are noisy buggers and the Calais may have had another model / brand tyre fitted. Quite a few of us have reported excessive wind noise at the speed limit from the driver's door window and it is alleged a re-worked door rubber is on the way to resolve this. Hope this helps.

Paulvdb

Reaction score
Members Ride
xr6t
Holden claim they did a lot or work in noise insulation in the VF but I also fail to see where a lot of this work went. My FG was far quieter in the cabin than the VF. But the Bridgestones from the factory are noisy buggers and the Calais may have had another model / brand tyre fitted. Quite a few of us have reported excessive wind noise at the speed limit from the driver's door window and it is alleged a re-worked door rubber is on the way to resolve this. Hope this helps.
Thanks duaned - that seems like two fairly likely issues. The SSV Redline does have different tyres to the Calais, and it's quite possible that the door seals could have been a problem. Heaven knows what would happen in the rain

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
HI Trewman - the issue here was the huge difference between the Calais V6 I drove and the SSV Redline. It really sounded like there was a window open - even though I double checked that there wasn't. The skylight was also closed. I'm not sure if the Redline tyres are so much noisier but that's all I could think. I'll need to drive another car to see if it's just a one-off. It could even be a misaligned door.
Re power - I'm sure that a walkie kit would fix responsiveness but shouldn't be needed for this sort of cash. I get the feeling that the redline is just a Calais with better suspension/tyres/brakes, which is fine, but I'd hoped to have something that responded better. I had been reading that the 6L80 was as good as a ZF and yet they seem to be very different in manual mode. Diff ratio could also be an issue.
The technology and gadgets are huge winners - just concerned that driving feel may be a backwards step. The XR6T motor and ZF box are a very good combo. That said I want a wagon and no-one makes an affordable powerful wagon anymore except Holden and Chrysler (and the 300 isn't my style)

I test drove an auto SS and that was enough to know that while Holden had improved the auto, it was still far short of the Falcons ZF. My solution was to buy the manual. The wind noise is an interesting one. Holden have had problems with door seal and certainly on my Redline the drives side is nosier then the passenger side seal. Apparently a improved seal is in the works.

If you have become used to the torque curve of the Turbo Falcons, then I'm afraid none of the V8's in the Holdens, this side of a GTS anyway, are going to do much for you - especially with factory tune.

The VF offers higher levels of refinement, more standard equipment, better paint finish/build quality and a better handing car. Performance wise I think the Falcon is still the better car in straight six and supercharged V8 forms. The ZF auto is also still the better auto, although the gap has narrowed a bit.

You pick your compromises and pick your car.