Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV spoiler removal

VTSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 A4 227rwkw
Evening all,

Looking at removing the spoiler from my SSV (it needs a re-paint, and I'm not sure on the look of it, makes the car look higher than it is and isn't helping vision while reversing), and I'm wondering what people are using to cover & seal the holes left over? Just normal blanking grommets? If so, any idea what size? Going to paint the holes with some left over touch up too as a rust preventative, and maybe tape underneath the grommets as extra insurance against leaks. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

VTSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 A4 227rwkw
Yeah, don't want to lose the badges etc. though, would rather use grommets so they're removable if I do change my mind. Actually I wonder if trim clips (x-mas tree type) would work?

HSV085

Reaction score
Members Ride
16' VF2 Redline, 17' VF2 GTS
Just buy rubber grommets from clark rubber, which is what i did with my ssv & clubby just make sure you buy the smallest ones available as ive found if theyre alittle bigger than the hole theyre covering they wont last as long and will perish.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Im in the same position, I have a boot spoiler that was fitted before I bought the car, that I dont like, and dont want.

The problem with spoiler removal is that the holes are going to look bad, and unless you want to weld them up and re-spray the boot, its not going to look good with 4 massive holes in the boot.

I am thinking of going the Omega boot route myself. (I have found an Omega the same colour as my car, however the wrecker doesnt know how to use email, or doesn't want my business).
So I am still on the hunt for one of these.

As for the badges, they are pretty cheap to buy brand new. (Less than $50 for the Holden and the CalaisV one).
Everything else will simply swap over (Boot lid chrome strip, bootlid carpet, looms, etc). So if you can source a boot in your colour cheaply,
then this is definitely the way to go.

(Bogging the boot holes, and re-spray will also work, but bogging is temporary, and you will need to do the process again in around 5 years time).
Plus the labour (and paint) to do this will set you back close to $500....

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I've been wanting to get rid of my wing for ages but the only thing stopping me is that I DON'T want to just plug the holes with grommets. Looks a bit bodgy IMO.

Zerone, out of interest, what were you quoted for a new boot lid from the wrecker?

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
The clown never got back to me with my enquiry... :(

I have found a couple of places in Sydney (around Bankstown) that sell Omega bootlids for around $100.
The problem is finding one in the colour that you want. (They all seem to be white or silver)

I have just asked this wrecker for a price.
holden calais ve [ wrecking complete car ] | eBay
Same colour as mine, and the boot lid looks like its in good condition from the pics.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
OK so correct me here but why cover/plug the holes? the water wont run into the boot anyway the holes left are outside of the rubber seal and water already travel in this area in the rain, car wash etc.

just my thoughts probably wrong here

joely116

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv 2007
I think rear spoiler looks great on the ve ss even better when your car is nice and low and good wheel offest