Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV ute Series 2 - Show and Go (pic intensive)

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Well here is the story so far about my 2010 Series 2 SSV ute.

I bought the car 2010, just as the S2 was announced, the interior updates and flex fuel technology tipped me over the edge when comparing to a XR6T ute, as I worked in the Motoring Media as a photographer more or less exclusively for MOTOR magazine, it was decided that this would make a great ongoing series as a long term review and make a few choice modifications to improve the car in areas where it was lacking.

The first few weeks I owned the ute I was in love, nice broad power, comfy interior and sounded great. But it wasn't till my first spirited drive through the Royal National Park that I realised this car had a few shortfalls - Brakes and suspension. Power was nice, but it could sound a bit better and while we were there, make more power too.

pbj7IEG.jpg

IDnjI4e.jpg

So this begins the modification journey of my Ute.

First up was Suspension which was kindly provided by Pedders, The XA coilovers were installed and immediately the difference was noticeable, not only in cornering performance but looks wise too with the lowered hunkered down stance looking much tougher.

zvEaJB4.jpg

FPcVjCb.jpg

As you can see, huge weight difference (and size) compared to stock.

Ol04kUO.jpg

Looks Much better now :)

VVQQ3S4.jpg

Hs8Vwum.jpg

Next, I started collating the parts to make it go harder and sound faster. The following was procured.

- GM Motorsport Ramjet and Ripshift
- KPM Header/Catback exhaust system in 1 3/4 2.5 inch size
- SCT Xcal 3 to swap tunes

After a bit of a nightmare with TNT losing the exhaust in Transit, eventually it all landed at Castle Hill Performance for the work.

Stock, made 218rwkw, after installing the exhaust, tune and intake power increased to 261rwkw and 600Nm of torque, but sinced then, with some minor refinements this was upped to 274rwkw and 610Nm torque on Caltex Eflex.

Now the car was really taking shape, the power was instant, revved much harder and that noise was to die for. I had found a new lease of love for this car all of the sudden.

oZ6bu3n.jpg

4nA3zhA.jpg

9igC1iu.jpg

jKgly0J.jpg

3zkjr3I.jpg

A8lXKLi.jpg

I just enjoyed the car for a while after the power mods, but it was severely lacking in the braking area.

DBR4xRH.jpg

So a deal came up that was too good to pass up, a Set of Redline 4 piston Brembo's for $790 brand new! Yes please!

I also upgraded to a Redline rear tailgate badge for the nicer Red V look, and it was 99% a redline now anyway :)

1run7DR.jpg

But there was one slight problem, the brakes do not fit behind the standard wheels. So I searched and searched for Lightweight forged wheels that would clear the Brembo's without problem.

There is lots of cheap wheels that will do this, but I am a firm believer in doing things right the first time, the chance to buy some ADV.1 5.1's in an aggressive offset came up and I jumped at the opportunity.

You might recognise these off the Walkinshaw "supercar" but these are 19's, with a much more aggressive offset and concave, I am led to believe that this was the last ever set of 5.1's in 5x120 ever made in 19 inch as they have been discontinued.

N5BP2WK.jpg

The specs are:

19x8.5 +28 Front
19x9.5 +30 Rear

Through lots of measuring and using the offset calculator, we found that these would fit just fine with a rear guard roll on 245/40 series tyres.

Lowered it for a Car show, I regretted this instantly after the first speed bump :)

tpXT95J.jpg

Now the brakes could be fitted without any issues, I should have done this ages ago, much better feel and no more "oh ****" moments.

VbCCdKU.jpg

Finally to finish the exterior, I slapped on the Redline tailgate badge and Plastidipped the front badge.

ivaOm3I.jpg

QkZZBea.jpg

Finally, I got off my ass and did a shoot of my own car for ADV.1

IIbTeef.jpg

GVOgxVF.jpg

And thats the story so far.

Next will be a Harrop FDFI2300 and some carbon fibre bits and peices :)

nitro91

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
damn thats nice.

where did you get the brakes from?

and is 14.3L/100km your measurement or from holden?

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Thanks.

Brakes are from Thompson Holden group, they had a special late last year.

L/100 are my own figures, on Eflex now I usually get ~15L/100.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
Top ute mate, love the rims and the stance in the car show pic is wicked, pity it's not practical haha

You should have a look into HIDs for the lights, would really set the front off IMO

nitro91

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
just saw prices for adv wheels... at first i saw prices like $1600... ok not bad for a set... then its for ONE WHEEL ??? Not sure if they are worth it?

you must drive it like a grandpa, i take it easy and get 17-18 on 98 lol.

Dannyp

8ball
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS UTE
Awesome ute mate. The car show pic looks crazy haha. Alto grey is the best on a ve

ButtsVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ
Beautiful ute mate. Did you need a tune with your intake?
Also do you think the rip shifter is worth it?
Cheers

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Thanks for the nice comments :)

Top ute mate, love the rims and the stance in the car show pic is wicked, pity it's not practical haha

You should have a look into HIDs for the lights, would really set the front off IMO

I have thought about them, might be next on the list, it's funny how you are never truly finished modding a car, always something more to do.

just saw prices for adv wheels... at first i saw prices like $1600... ok not bad for a set... then its for ONE WHEEL ??? Not sure if they are worth it?

you must drive it like a grandpa, i take it easy and get 17-18 on 98 lol.

Yep not cheap, but I love them, plus the fact you don't exactly see a car with the same wheels ever is nice, even for such a simple design.

Awesome ute mate. The car show pic looks crazy haha. Alto grey is the best on a ve

I got to agree, never was a fan of any of the VE colours until I saw Alto, I knew it was for me as soon as it was released.

Beautiful ute mate. Did you need a tune with your intake?
Also do you think the rip shifter is worth it?
Cheers

Thanks, yes, did it all in one go. The ripshift makes a massive difference, I always used to stuff up the 2nd-3rd change when up it, now it just slots in real easy. Must do IMO.