Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV vs E63 AMG ..

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
I'm still holding my breath for a turbo 6 to compete directly with the other mob.

Doesnt have to be a v8 killer, just a small turbo 6... so it' still economical most of the time, but got some balls when you need it.

Then there's no point. Ford's I6T beats Holdens V8 quite easily. Made the XR8 redundant to anyone that wasn't both a Ford and V8 die hard.

Holden's best V8 sellers are the SS, SSV (sedan, ute and wagon). If they bring out a turbo 6 to compete with the Ford turbo 6, then it would have to end up beating Holden's V8 as well. A market they do not want to lose.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
beating Holden V8's?? Yeah the current ones, but a DI V8 with variable timing etc I doubt, GenV will have the goods. No point comparing newer engine designs with the old/current design to show that Holden won't bring a TT V6.

B-roca

I’m an F-18, bro
Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
The only reason Holden would release a Forced Induction V6 would be if their Direct Injection V8 was "The Bee's Knees" so as to not kill their V8 market like Ford did.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
beating Holden V8's?? Yeah the current ones, but a DI V8 with variable timing etc I doubt, GenV will have the goods. No point comparing newer engine designs with the old/current design to show that Holden won't bring a TT V6.

But that's exactly what other people are doing in previous posts... No point comparing the new GM V8 with the current Coyote. The Coyote revision will trump anything GM brings out with a few tweaks. Then GM will do the same. It's why they release everything so far below their potential performance levels to start with.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Not arguing that, you just said holden won't bring out a TTV6 because it would have to beat the xr6t, which will beat the l98. Just saying by the time its here it won't be up against the l98 or perhaps even the I6T, more likely the ecoboost.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
how the hell can they squeeze that much from power ??
i mean..take a look at a new HSV LS2 ....6.2L and no where near it...

This is simple.

HSV motor is designed in the US where bigger is better>
Merc Motor is designed in Europe where they know what they are doing.

It's nothing impressive what the germans can get out of a motor considering how much they are able to spend on engineering and research, and keep in mine that's untuned, it would pull even more power once Brabus or the like have a fiddle.

It's unimpressive what the Americans get get from 6.2L... I mean... 317kw? where's the rest? :p

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
Then there's no point. Ford's I6T beats Holdens V8 quite easily. Made the XR8 redundant to anyone that wasn't both a Ford and V8 die hard.

Holden's best V8 sellers are the SS, SSV (sedan, ute and wagon). If they bring out a turbo 6 to compete with the Ford turbo 6, then it would have to end up beating Holden's V8 as well. A market they do not want to lose.

why are people impressed with a 4L forced induction engine that only puts out so little so it dosent smash their own v8 into oblivion.

4L is a large displacement for a turbo engine hence the massive gains from simple tuning and intake exhaust work.
there is nothing impressive abot this enging beating a N/A V8 in the same car. the large displacement V8 will alwasy have it on the jump untill the turbo kicks in then the falc is off like a scalded cat.
they are very different driving experiances and a turbo 3L V6 wont take to many sales from the Holden V8 range because the ss will always have the effortles pull and be the cruiser it is the boss V8 was crap not bottom end torque and no top end power it worked as a GT and nothing else the turbo was simply a better alrounder.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I personally don't think there will be any TT anything from Holden any time soon. In OEM production terms Turbo's are expensive, two of them are stupidly expensive. That combined with the associated packaging issues of plumbing and the like - it's just cheaper and easier to stick with the V8 as the performance option.

Reaper

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
there is nothing impressive abot this enging beating a N/A V8 in the same car. the large displacement V8 will alwasy have it on the jump untill the turbo kicks in then the falc is off like a scalded cat.
they are very different driving experiances and a turbo 3L V6 wont take to many sales from the Holden V8 range because the ss will always have the effortles pull and be the cruiser it is the boss V8 was crap not bottom end torque and no top end power it worked as a GT and nothing else the turbo was simply a better alrounder.

Spoken like someone who has absolutely no experience in the 4.0 I6T. The full 533Nm of torque is available from 1800rpm or so, right through to just past 4000rpm. There is no lag!

And spoken by someone who only THINKS they understand the industry. Any Holden Turbo sales will DEFINITELY eat into V8 sales. People who don't want performance aren't going to buy a Turbo so there's not really much of a new market to capture. The turbo offers people who like performance a more efficient option than the Holden V8. If it didn't I wouldn't have a 4.0 I6T, I'd have a Holden V8.

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
I would like to ride shotgun in a I6T just for the experience, my mates old man got himself a xr6 ute as a company car (non turbo) but was impressed with the little to no acceleration lag comparing it to the sv6. Because of the bigger displacement than the sv6 the ford therefore has more torque to combat the lag?