Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV vs E63 AMG ..

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
It's not! Your other nonsense is though... You didn't even understand the benefits of launch control, or even know it was standard for that matter. No it's not used all the time - it's a user preference. But if I want to get up and go with no performance lag, it's how I do it.

Both Karlos and I love our Holdens but also love our Fords. As far as I know, we speak from plenty of experience with both Holden and Ford driving. I'm not trying to say one product is outright better than the other. And it comes down to personal preference. But for me, the I6T cannot be beaten on performance when compared directly with the Holden V8. But the Holden V8 is AWESOME! And I do miss the exhaust note.

didnt know launch control was standard is that on all FG's or because its a XR50?
i do know the benifits of launch control and yes it dose take the lag out of the equations its still there mind you just before you are moving didnt have it on any turbos ive driven.

"no its not used all the time" you may need to adjust the settings on your sarcasim detector it clearly dosent work very well.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
Why do people think GM HAS to have DOHC cams to be competitive?

All that fancy **** is all well and good, but it doesn't guarantee performance. Look at Fords last effort before the coyote.
Variable valve time just lets them dodge the emission's. It has its performance applications but I guess when you off-set the cost of producing it with the benefits its probably not that greater bang for buck.
I will guarantee you its expensive as hell to modify. (Speaking from experience)

Frankly I think that all you people screaming for fancy new gadgets and extra acronyms on the boot lid, simply don't understand how a ICE actually works.

could agree with you more here there are even some notable benifits in the push rod engine.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Speaking of boost has anyone been in a new Coyote GT yet?? The bloody things are consistently putting out ~320rwkw's stock!!! Holden have some serious work to do to get anywhere near those figures. I think the GT may give one of those E63's a run for its money with a small increase in boost :p

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
They don't have any work to do. Slap a charger on an L98 and see the same thing happen.
Why is that hard to understand?

Superchargers just increase the volumetric efficiency.

Frankly, if you want to start a technology pissing contest Holden should use a couple of intercooled turbo's. Far more efficient.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
exactly you put forced induction on a large capacity engine then say ohhh aaah look at that.
why are people awwed by this? i dont get it

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
They don't have any work to do. Slap a charger on an L98 and see the same thing happen.
Why is that hard to understand?

I understand that charging a 6.2 v8 will more then match the Coyote, the fact is Holden will not do this!!!!! Unless GM release a lower emission turbo or supercharged V8 Holden will not add it. Hell Holden won't even use the supercharged V8 from the Corvette which would drop straight in as they are happy with what they have. GM needs to produce a smaller CI boosted motor for Holden to compete with the Coyote and i don't see that happening anytime soon. Getting 320rwkw's from a 5L with decent fuel economy is actually impressive compared to struggling to get over 350 kw's at the FLYWHEEL from a 6.2L!!! I love my Holden's but i am impressed with the new FPV GT, the fact they have massively understated their power figures means Holden will claim they have close to the same power when they really don't come close.....

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
didnt know launch control was standard is that on all FG's or because its a XR50?
i do know the benifits of launch control and yes it dose take the lag out of the equations its still there mind you just before you are moving didnt have it on any turbos ive driven.

Then you haven't driven a manual FG Turbo. Every XR6 and XR50 Turbo manual has launch control. And how is lag still there? The car's peak torque is available from 1800rpm thanks to the turbo. When using launch control, the rpms are sitting, waiting (like Chuck Norris at night time, he doesn't sleep, he waits) for launch and the turbo is already spooled. Launch, and the 533Nm are there and being used! So what lag is there? PLEASE explain what you mean. Because I sure as hell don't understand.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
I understand that charging a 6.2 v8 will more then match the Coyote, the fact is Holden will not do this!!!!! Unless GM release a lower emission turbo or supercharged V8 Holden will not add it. Hell Holden won't even use the supercharged V8 from the Corvette which would drop straight in as they are happy with what they have. GM needs to produce a smaller CI boosted motor for Holden to compete with the Coyote and i don't see that happening anytime soon. Getting 320rwkw's from a 5L with decent fuel economy is actually impressive compared to struggling to get over 350 kw's at the FLYWHEEL from a 6.2L!!!
where are you getting 320RWK's from may i ask they are 335FWK's factory spec.

holden wont spend the money re engenerring the car and re certafying a different engine when they are still competative and selling well.
they hardly stuggle for 350 flywheel kilowatts they esaly do this and much more with a camm and tune ETC and esily over 500 with a charger

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Then you haven't driven a manual FG Turbo. Every XR6 and XR50 Turbo manual has launch control. And how is lag still there? The car's peak torque is available from 1800rpm thanks to the turbo. When using launch control, the rpms are sitting, waiting (like Chuck Norris at night time, he doesn't sleep, he waits) for launch and the turbo is already spooled. Launch, and the 533Nm are there and being used! So what lag is there? PLEASE explain what you mean. Because I sure as hell don't understand.

Mate you know exactly what he means.... Every turbo car has SOME degree of Turbo Lag, sure having peak torque from 1800rpm means there is very little with the I6T but there is lag there to an extent. Sure you won't have any when you have the car stalled up or are using launch control but that is no secret lol.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
I understand that charging a 6.2 v8 will more then match the Coyote, the fact is Holden will not do this!!!!! Unless GM release a lower emission turbo or supercharged V8 Holden will not add it. Hell Holden won't even use the supercharged V8 from the Corvette which would drop straight in as they are happy with what they have. GM needs to produce a smaller CI boosted motor for Holden to compete with the Coyote and i don't see that happening anytime soon. Getting 320rwkw's from a 5L with decent fuel economy is actually impressive compared to struggling to get over 350 kw's at the FLYWHEEL from a 6.2L!!! I love my Holden's but i am impressed with the new FPV GT, the fact they have massively understated their power figures means Holden will claim they have close to the same power when they really don't come close.....

Mate, you could bolt a twin vein charger onto an old holden 5ltr and do exactly what the Ford motor is doing.
If you use better engine management it would drink the fuel either.

Smaller displacement just means more effort needs to be spent on the heads/intake/exhaust.

The evidence is clear, look at what most companies were doing in the 1970's. 7ltr engines were the norm. Easy power and geared so that they spent their lives at 900rpm.
If we did that now with decent engine management and the proper gearing you wouldn't need a supercharger or DOHC.

As for the Ford T6.
BA - BF had lag like WRX. Dunno about the FG.