Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stabiliser Bushing Question.

Onecontrolfreak

Reaction score
Checking my front end tonight which had a distinctive metal knock when going over bumps and corners.

Jacked it up and I noticed that the Stabiliser Bar at the end has a vertical steel rod with rubber bushings were spaced way apart. Tried tightening the bushings with a 9/16 or 14mm spanner whilst holding a shifter on the vertical steel rod tried tightening up. Question is that tried tightening and the rubber bushing was not closing in to avoid the steel on steel.

What holds the rubber bushings together with the steel washer? The lower one gets closer but the one directly above the stabiliser arm does not close in.

Checked the other side and it looks fine, and has the same number of washers and rubber bushings?

What gives?

I must be missing something....

Thanks

:whistling

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
the stabiliser link has poking out bits to hold the washer agains the bar or strut. dont over tighten them as they could pop though ( like mine did ) what condition are the washers in? do they look bent out?

Onecontrolfreak

Reaction score
This may be the problem, I cannot see any poking out bids to hold the washers against. I need to jack the car up tonight again and look more closer.

Washers appear ok, but might be safer to purchase new rubbers and washers and install.....

The clonking of the steel on steel is not a good sound!

Thanks

Jamie

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
Your not jacking up one side of the car at a time are you? To do anything involving the sway bar both sides have to be even. Its best to tighten it up with it sitting on level ground.

inwiththenew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8
just did mine was easier to replace. thanks to work only cost $32.000 for the kit.
the car is so different to drive now. it good

Onecontrolfreak

Reaction score
No tried it up on jacks and level on the ground, still the same issue.

Will buy the kit and refit it over the W/E.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Jamie

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
yeah the kit should come with nuts washers bushes and the links themselves Good luck!

spac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pac S2 M5
Make sure you don't buy standard ones if you have firmer suspension or swaybars. I ran new standard ones with my HD sway bars and coil overs and snapped the pins into 2 pices!! Also overtighening it will cuase the washes to bend and the rubbers to fail also!!

Try and buy the link pins that are curved, think there nolathane or noltec. similar price too as standard ones but much stronger.

Good luck,

Onecontrolfreak

Reaction score
Thanks Guys....

Will buy the kit today (after sorting out why the car will not start now!!)

Cheers

Jamie